Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Automated burning of flac files with wav cuesheets? (Read 4097 times) previous topic - next topic

Automated burning of flac files with wav cuesheets?

Is anyone aware of software which automates the burning of flac files through EAC with normal EAC created cue cheets?  I know of AutoFlac, but it can only use cue sheets which are created through it apparently. 

If not, I'm going to be looking into writing a simple program to automate the process of backing up around 250 CDs.

Reply #1
It is NOT recommended to backup Audio CDs by burning images to CD-Rs. There are discussions on the forum like "Long term archiving strategy" and the like that may be useful for you. CD-Rs have too short life and cannot be considered a reliable backup media.

The general recommendation is to rip CDDA to FLAC + CUE (embedded or separate) and store on an external HDD (or set of HDDs), disconnect and put in a safe place. If you have more money, then put it on two (sets of) HDDs and store in two different places, different houses, different bank deposits etc.

Reply #2
It is NOT recommended to backup Audio CDs by burning images to CD-Rs. There are discussions on the forum like "Long term archiving strategy" and the like that may be useful for you. CD-Rs have too short life and cannot be considered a reliable backup media.

The general recommendation is to rip CDDA to FLAC + CUE (embedded or separate) and store on an external HDD (or set of HDDs), disconnect and put in a safe place. If you have more money, then put it on two (sets of) HDDs and store in two different places, different houses, different bank deposits etc.

Well, the plan is to keep a copy on CD-R as well as the original copy, so that I'm usign the CD-R copy and the original CD can stay safe.  See where I'm going with this?  Additionaly flac+cue will be kept on a hard drive at all times.

Reply #3
but it can only use cue sheets which are created through it apparently.

Really?

Anyhow - If you're only using the CD-R copies for playback, and not really as backup, then you need not worry about write offset correction (which won't be missed at all) and could just use Burrrn or any other app that can read FLAC.

Reply #4
but it can only use cue sheets which are created through it apparently.

Really?

Anyhow - If you're only using the CD-R copies for playback, and not really as backup, then you need not worry about write offset correction (which won't be missed at all) and could just use Burrrn or any other app that can read FLAC.

Seems so.  The creator stated that compatibility with EAC created cue sheets was on his to do list, but I'm not sure if/when he will get that done.

Well, accurate CDs would be prefered...  You know just 'in case' I should ever have to re rip an album from one.  Obviously, I would use Accurate rip to confirm accuracy.

If I'm going to take the time/effort to burn 250 CDs, why not do it right?  I suspect I can write a pretty simple program to accomplish what I want since none seem to exist.  Hopefully I can make use of some of the source code or atleast ideas used in autoflac.

Reply #5
I know of AutoFlac, but it can only use cue sheets which are created through it apparently.

vulc44n, FYI, version 1.2 of AutoFLAC should properly support all CUE sheets for writing.  I hope to have the final version released by the end of the week, but in the meantime I've posted a beta version here.  If you feel like doing a bit of testing on this CUE sheet issue, I'd definitely appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Reply #6
I use Burrrn, and the cue editor in that SW. Easy too rename all wav instances to FLAC, and get rid of the paths to the files. Works for me.