Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 audio player info (Read 96546 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 audio player info

Reply #150
I'd really love to give Foobar2000 a try, but when my entire 2000+ APS MP3 collection uses ID3v2 tags, I can't lose all of that.  Would it really add a lot of bloat to at least minimally support ID3v2 tags?  We're talking the basics like Artist, Title, Comments, Track#, etc.  Sort of like Winamp does...

Reply #151
I have an Audigy2 using the latest drivers[...] Also, 24bit output is noticeably quieter than 16bit output, bug?

Can't hear such difference on Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96. Perhaps that's the soundcard/drivers problem? 

Reply #152
Just use Tag and convert them to APEv2 tags.
Foobar reads them perfectly. Don't forget to remove ID3v2!
I've changed only because of myself.
Remember, when you quote me, you're quoting AstralStorm.
(read: this account is dead)

Reply #153
I have tested the foobar2000 a bit and i think that foobar plays clipping much more louder than Winamp. I tested with song that was originaly distorted. The problem just got worse when i used resampler DSP plugin where i resampled output to 48kHz. There was no difference between fast mode on and fast mode off. I have SB Live! 1024 and Win XP with SP1.

Reply #154
if original was distorted, it can't be helped.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #155
I have tested the foobar2000 a bit and i think that foobar plays clipping much more louder than Winamp. I tested with song that was originaly distorted. The problem just got worse when i used resampler DSP plugin where i resampled output to 48kHz. There was no difference between fast mode on and fast mode off. I have SB Live! 1024 and Win XP with SP1.

Sound Blaster Live! has nice hardware resampling, you should not be using the resampler software.

Reply #156
Sound Blaster Live! has nice hardware resampling, you should not be using the resampler software.

actually, no, it doesn't

Reply #157
Any info on the no rear output problem?

Reply #158
Just use Tag and convert them to APEv2 tags.
Foobar reads them perfectly. Don't forget to remove ID3v2!

Does Winamp support APEv2 tags?  I still do like to share with friends, and if they can't read it, it's a slight problem...

Is there any reason why the MP3 can't have both ID3v2 and APEv2 tags?  I assume the main problem from this would be that there would be two frames of silence rather than just one at the beginning.  correct?

Reply #159
Does Winamp support APEv2 tags?

No.

Is there any reason why the MP3 can't have both ID3v2 and APEv2 tags?  I assume the main problem from this would be that there would be two frames of silence rather than just one at the beginning.  correct?

Not any technical reason, you can have both ID3v2 and APE tags and both foobar2000 and Winamp will play them happily and show the tags.

Reply #160
New bug (well, maybe an old bug... but I just found it) in the SysTray display: Special characters are not properly shown. For example, "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young" shows up as "Crosby, Stills, Nash  Young" - that's with two spaces between "Nash" and "Young" - in the system tray, although it is shown correctly in the playlist.

- M.

Reply #161
New bug (well, maybe an old bug... but I just found it) in the SysTray display: Special characters are not properly shown.

Are you seeing this for all characters, or just the ampersand?  On my system, it's only the &, but I don't have anything that really goes to town with the international/unicode character set.

If your tag is modified to show 3 &s in a row, you'll get it back.  It's probably some funkiness stemming from the fact that Windows uses it for signify the accelerator character (that underlined character in all your program menus and dialog boxes that you can Alt+<letter> to select/execute without mousing around).

Normally one only needs to double up in order to display a single & though, so I'm confused.

Reply #162
Ardax, you seem to be correct. I just ran a test FLAC with the following in the "Title" string:

Test ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) < > ? : ; ' { } [ ] / \ |

What was subsequently shown in the system tray was as follows:

Test ! @ # $ % ^ * ( ) < > ? : ; ' { } [ ] / \ |

So it is, as you said, just the "&" (even though the "&" is properly written in the tag). Even accented characters (as in "Déjà Vu") are shown as intended. Most likely related to the accelerator character function you mentioned... although I hesitate to add a string of three ampersands to all those tags. Hardware support shouldn't have such a drawback, so I'd hate to see "&&&" in everything except my PC. Peter, is there a decent way this could be addressed? Probably doesn't deserve a very high ranking on your list of relevant modifications/fixes, but it would be nice. 

- M.

Reply #163
OK, noted that, thanks for info.
must be something weird with '&' character, i believe replacing it with '&&' will fix the problem, i'm going to put a fix into whatever next release comes out.

Reply #164
How do I convert  my mp3 id3v2 tags to apev2, keeping the id3v1 tags for compatibility with winamp?

Reply #165
On my systems, '&&' underlines only underlines the next character. '&&&' works though.

If you're going "WTF?", then at least I'm not alone. 

Reply #166
Or you can just completely ignore my two questions...

Reply #167

I think you might get a better response if you'd nicely point out your questions again or pm Peter.

I don't think anyone is necessarily ignoring you here 

Seriously, this thread is pretty long and I have a hard time keeping up with all of it myself..

Reply #168

I think you might get a better response if you'd nicely point out your questions again or pm Peter.

I don't think anyone is necessarily ignoring you here 

Seriously, this thread is pretty long and I have a hard time keeping up with all of it myself..

... and i have more amusing things to do than reading everything people post here and digging entire topic to find what particular person asked for before. this is an announcement topic, if you want your questions answered, start a new topic instead.

Reply #169
zZzZzZz,

Maybe you should find somebody who would manage the feedback of testers/users (bugs, suggestions, ...).

A poll could be organized in order to help you to organize the priorities and to let you the time for the development…

I will be pleased to help you for this. I have studied Computer Science at Brussels University in 1985/86/87/88 and I own two companies in this field, but unfortunately my English is far to be perfect…

Reply #170
not sure if "feedback management" is needed, the idea of developers not talking directly to people reminds me of the way Winamp development works these days.
instead, i need to split the development into more people as soon as possible (by separating UI stuff from main exe code), so UI feature requests for an example will be handled by someone else.

Reply #171
... i need to split the development into more people as soon as possible (by separating UI stuff from main exe code), so UI feature requests for an example will be handled by someone else.

Sure split UI and core is a good idea.

If I may suggest, up to that (split) don't bother you too much with releases. We will survive until that and as I said in another post (I know, you can’t read everything), at this level keep the focus on the quality of the core.

If you need help for the UI (this is where I'm better), let me know.

Cheers

Reply #172
...instead, i need to split the development into more people as soon as possible...

Yeah. Can't wait for X-Fixer to join this project. I think that foo_mod.dll will be 'more' advanced than it is now right Peter, X-Fixer??

Reply #173

actually, no, it doesn't

Sorry. It has decent quality for a consumer-level card. I know hardware-based quadratic interpolation is rather old technology in this day and age, and prone to noticeably distorting synthetic test samples. I knew I should have put that $250 to better use last year... Instead of putting together a crappy 1GHz PC to replace my crappier 233MHz PC, I could have finally saved towards that SW1000XG I've always wanted, even if I only care about the MIDI synthesizer, and only intend to use it for casual listening.

Reply #174
Yeah. Can't wait for X-Fixer to join this project.

thanks

but actually, I need to adopt foobar to my needs first. when I'll move on it completely, I hope I'll rewrite the entire output system of foo_mod and write a floating-point mixer.