Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 audio player info (Read 96547 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 audio player info

Reply #125
whew... I finally got the keybord shortcuts to work:)

There have been so many posts regarding this fine little player and I just haven't had time to read them all, so there are two things I wonder about (that probably have been asked for somewhere!)

1. No "previous song" function? What have I missed...??

2. Will the player support AAC?
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

Reply #126
When I sort on track number (ID3 1.1) the files aren't sorted the right way. Home come? fb2k does point out a file is - for example - the third track (#3), but it doesn't sort it as third in the playlist

Seems you doesn't have tracknumbers in filenames.
Try 'sort by...' $num(%TRACK%,2)

$num(%TRACK%,2) works fine  But where's the problem then?? In the tags the MP3's sure have track numbers...

What does %TRACK% refer to, and %TRACKNUMBER%?

Reply #127
2. Will the player support AAC?

Peter has already said yes to this.  AAC support should happen through an external .dll at some point in the future, IIRC.

Reply #128
1. No "previous song" function? What have I missed...??

This would indeed be quite handy.

Also, while on the subject of global shortcuts, how about the option of having one to quit the program? This would be useful when foobar is minimised in the tray.

Reply #129
[Logitech string clipped]

I've added that (and also tried the updated string) and rebooted and nothing happens? Is there something else I need to do?

That's pretty much all there is to it.  What's happening (or not happening)?  I did have a problem with they keys not working when the fb2k window was minimized, but that seems to have disappeared with recent revisions.

At any rate, you'll definitely want to use the updated string, since it has the pause function.

The strings that I posted were designed to be used with the default keyboard commands.  If you've altered those, then you'll need to change the ini entry as well.  If that's not it, then PM me with relevant system details and I'll see what can be figured out.

Reply #130
Version 0.29d has trouble estimating the time on files encoded with FastEnc (vbr). A 2 minute-song is displayed as 14 minutes or so. Consequently the fast forward 10 sec skips are all messed up.
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

Reply #131
well, there are no available specs for fastenc VBR headers, so pretty much everything will have trouble reading them, and there's nothing we can do about it.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #132
thanks for the info..  this is OT maybe, but do you consider the libopenspc core to be of better quality than the snesamp plugin for winamp?  i was under the impression anti-resonances stuff was the best as far as snes audio emulation goes.

I consider it to be more accurate at this time, except for a few minor annoyances with certain songs, but those will be dealt with over time by the author, I think.      ... Disadvantage... no "speed hacks." One person found that the XMMS plug-in couldn't run in real-time on their Pentium 166 system, but then noticed that the Makefile doesn't pass any optimization flags to the compiler, not even -O.

One minor advantage, at least to coders or porters, everything but the CPU emulation is portable C code, but is designed in a modular fashion, so that it can be replaced by another core. It currently uses the x86 assembly SPC-700 from SNEeSe. Other components are also modular, to an extent.... I was able to add just the DSP component to Snes9XW, with almost perfect results. It still bugs me a bit that it has some minor glitches, but not enough to stop me from making regular use of it.

As for SNESAPU, I get the impression that it is no longer under active development. Hmm... much the same as ZSNES, only that's been frozen for a mere month and a half.

Reply #133
Maybye someone asked and got answer, but it will take a lot of time to find this info. So if anyone know this, answer instead of Peter.

1. Will be "track seek" available sometimes here?
<EDIT>
I found how to do it. Well, forget this question....
Or... maybye a seek slider would be welcome :-)
</EDIT>

2. Will be user configurable display of playlist also available? I mean to choose which tag entries will be shown there. (I don't prefer to see album names here - for example).

3. Will be there some kind of support for winamp input plugins? What I'm missing is mp3PRO format support and I don't think that it will be included in near/far future due to some legal reasons. So this would be a solution.

4. Will it be made opensource some day? I think that there' are many experienced people around here that can help Ypu Peter with several things. What from their solutions will be added into Your great player would be on Your choice, so You may be possibly not worried about uncontrolled development or someting going this way... I mean to open the source only to get some things working better, because I believe that good and experienced programmers exist around here.
<EDIT>
I found someting about opensource foobar also..
..You may forget this question.
When I'll have a time, I'll read about it there.
</EDIT>

Thanks for answers. And sorry for possibly stupid questions :-)

PS:Your foobar is really great, something that I've been looking for a long time... Thanks a lot for doing it.

Reply #134
Maybye someone asked and got answer, but it will take a lot of time to find this info....

Quick answers:

1. Yes. Using your left and right arrow keys you can already seek through a track; using your up and down keys you can seek through the playlist (and hit "Enter" when the desired track is highlighted). You can automatically go to the "Next" track - when in the main window - by pressing "V," although there is not yet a hot-key to go "Back."

2. Yes. Go to "Foobar2000" > "Preferences" > "Display" and you can already do this. It may take a little browsing through the "help" to figure out what you want it to do, but here is the line I use (designed for OGG/FLAC tags):

%artist%':' %tracknumber% %title%  --  '('%album%; %date%')'  --  '['%genre%; %comment%']'

For a practical example of how this translates, the player will show the following:

Pink Floyd: 01 Scream Thy Last Scream  --  (Unreleased 'Scream Thy Last Scream' single; 1967)  --  [British Psychedelia; Syd Barrett's Monophonic Pink Floyd]

Peter is also working on the ability to display the same info broken up into columns (so it will be easier to find the desired parameter in a large playlist); see earlier in this same thread.

3. I doubt it. For understandable reasons Peter does not want "legacy" Winamp stuff in this program. Still, I could be wrong. One possible workaround, since he has released the SDK, is to contact the author of the desired Winamp plugin and ask them to do the same for foobar2000.

4. Peter has already expressed a willingness to make code available to selected others, once he is satisfied with stability/performance. The program may or may not ever truly become "open source," but that's Peter's call.

- M.

Reply #135
Thanks a lot for reply.

I modified the playlist display rules so it's shown as I like.

Reply #136
it's nice and all, sounds better than winamp.. but wouldn't it be nice if it would work with those multimedia keys on those logitech keyboards ? 

Reply #137
I don't know if this is a bug or not.

I just used the foobar add directory function to load roughly 3,000 mp3's/mpc's and it took about 3 mins to load these files.
It loaded these songs from one directory containing 27 sub directories.

Using foobar 0.3

P.s. Is title based replaygain playback going to be added in future (needed for shuffle when friends are over)

p.s.s. Any possibility to make foobar harder to accidentally close, maybe use right click exit from the systray icon to completely exit it 
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #138
NOT a bug, reading tags takes time. they will open much faster second time.

Reply #139
NOT a bug, reading tags takes time. they will open much faster second time.

Well i've go just shy of 10000 APE2 tagged MPC files on one of my drives - fb2k takes about 1/3 longer to read them all in than winamp2 with the latest case MPC plugin. I don't mind that though because the playlist doesn't get built very often.

BUT after building this playlist the memory requirement of fb2k is far higher (~27meg) than wa2 (~10meg), these figures read from task manager by the way. Being a programmer myself I understand the figures can be misleading/distorted for loads of reasons but it's something to be aware of.

What would be nice though would be an F3 search that functions like the one in wa2, i.e., if I enter '2pac' then obviously both players reduce the selection to my 2pac tunes. If I then enter ' slick' after '2pac' then wa2 shows all the tunes with both 'slick' and '2pac' *anywhere* in the tag/filename/whatever whereas fb2k shows nothing because it assumes i'm looking for a song with '2pac slick' as one word. It has no concept that they're seperate and should be searched as such.

Thanks for a quality player though - why the frig do people want to skin everything? Give me a player that plays tunes, with a nice simple interface and i'm all ears  Thanks Peter!

Reply #140
zZzZzZz i don't know if anyone told you this, but all that Sort By...'s, could they be in some kind of submenu in Playlist ? It's all messy now.
Maybe something like this:

Playlist-Sort By-path
                                                      display filename
etc.

Keep up the good work  .

Reply #141
zZzZzZz, would you consider adding an option to display the title formatting with columns? On a particularly long string - if you want everything about a file to show in the window - it's easy enough to configure the following (based around OGG/FLAC tags):

%artist%':' %tracknumber% %title%  --   '('%album%; %date%')'  --  '['%genre%; %comment%']'

... but when you have an entire screen full of songs, finding the album or genre of a specific track can take a moment, while your eyes sort through all those lines. If one could substitute a column break where I've shown "--" above, it would (for me, at least) simplify things. I am guessing this should be possible, since the time is already shown in its own space off to the right, right?

- M.

it's been a while since i played with titleformatting stuff.... you can already do this with $pad() and fixed-width font.

Reply #142
Greetings,

I think that foobar2000 is "the most recommended" player now...
Judging by its popularity now, it'll become major player in about 2 years.
Great job, again. Cool icon and name B)
Remembers me my first days with hexadecimal system...

I've one question though:
will module player be updated to newest X-Fixer's code frequently enough?
(better send him your code for corrections now, as there are some bugs in this version already)
I've changed only because of myself.
Remember, when you quote me, you're quoting AstralStorm.
(read: this account is dead)

Reply #143
I've found a bug in version 0.3b under Windows XP.

When you turn on the Resampler the amout of memory Foobar uses increases without stopping, up to more than 100 MB. I've tried to reinstall everything, but that did not help.

Can anybody reproduce this?

Reply #144
weird memory leak with DSP fixed in 0.3c

Reply #145
Wow, you're fast.

Reply #146
zZzZzZz, would you consider adding an option to display the title formatting with columns?

it's been a while since i played with titleformatting stuff.... you can already do this with $pad() and fixed-width font.

Okay... for anyone else interested in simulating columns for foobar2000, here's an updated example of a working string for OGG/FLAC tags (Apologies if everyone else already figured this out and has them working; I'm posting in the interest of simplifying things for anyone who might not have gotten it yet.  ):

$padcut(%artist%':' %title%,60)$padcut('('%date%';' %album% - %tracknumber%')',70)$if(%comment%,'['%genre%';' %comment%']','['%genre%']')

For a real-song translation of all those $% and $%s, here's what it would look like (I've used a double-pipe symbol to indicate each visual column):

Pink Floyd: Vegetable Man  ||  (1967; Unreleased 'Scream Thy Last Scream' single - 02)  ||  [British Psychedelia; Syd Barrett's Monophonic Pink Floyd]

Using the same line, if there had not been a "Comment" tag the last column would only have shown "[British Psychedelia]".

In order to properly use this method, you will need a fixed-width font (as Peter pointed out). I decided against "Courier" or "Lucinda Console," since that really would have made foobar2000 look like a "noisy Notepad." You might want to try the Onuava font available from DaFONT, scaled to 6 points.

- M.

Aside to Peter: I sent you an e-mail via the HA form, but I'm not sure whether it went through. If you didn't receive anything, would you bounce me a message? Thanks.

Reply #147
I have an Audigy2 using the latest drivers, and am using CMSS2 for output to my 2 rear speakers for mp3 playback.  This works in Winamp, but not in foobar, is there a setting I need to activate?

Also, 24bit output is noticeably quieter than 16bit output, bug?

Reply #148
What about CD support or would that make it bloat?
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Reply #149
Also, 24bit output is noticeably quieter than 16bit output, bug?

I hear the same, I think it's because the dynamic is different. The dither at 16 and 24 bit is different, so low level sounds are dithered at a different level. At high level, I think that clipping are also different in 24, giving the sound less aggressive. But another user (KikeG) told that the difference heard is purely placebo effect . However, me and a friend can hear the difference between 16 and 24 bits in FB2K (9/10 in a blind test).

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=ST&f=24&t=4984

Maybe somebody could give us additionnal information on this?