Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 3.93 Playback Problems in Windows Media Player 10 (Read 4513 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 3.93 Playback Problems in Windows Media Player 10

I recently tried playing a LAME 3.93-encoded track in WMP 10, only to experience a serious GUI slowdown, skipping, and choppy playback. The file plays just fine in foobar2000. I was just wondering if there was some way I could fix the file to improve playback in WMP, which I use for library management.

I tried transcoding the file to WMA - the skipping disappeared, but the slowdown is still there (albeit reduced). Is WMP having trouble with the audio in the file (just shooting in the dark here, since I have no idea)... or? TOS prohibits me from posting the song for you to try it, but it's the track listed here.

I've never had MP3 playback issues in WMP before, so this is rather unusual to me. Thanks in advance for any help.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #1
Try disabling visualization, DSP effects, equalizer etc. in WMP.

Reply #2
Maybe the MP3 decoders included in ffdshow solve your problem:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_so...ers/ffdshow.cfm

It supports 3 different decoder libraries called mp3lib, libmad and Aud-X. Play around with all of these to see whether ffdshow is of any help.

Reply #3
Try disabling visualization, DSP effects, equalizer etc. in WMP.

Thanks! I don't normally run visualizations since I prefer album art (WMP only allows you to show either of the two at any given time), but I do normally use the DSP, equalizer, etc. Turning them off fixed the problem. Your help is appreciated .

@ Junon: ffdshow breaks WM* playback on my PC. Not sure why, but as a result I didn't follow through on your suggestion. Thanks though .

Reply #4
Ah, nice to read that your problem's been resolved. Just one more thing about the WMA issue you experienced with ffdshow: In the "ffdshow audio decoder configuration" there's the option "Codecs" which allows you to configure which codec's used for the supported audio formats. The libavcodec supporting WMA 8/9 is very incomplete (it doesn't work at all with WMA Pro, Lossless and Voice), therefore you could simply disable it. The system should fall back to using its standard decoders for WMA files in that case. Might be an option to try out if you were still interested in using the higher performance decoders (as claimed by the authors) of ffdshow for other video/audio formats.

Reply #5
Ah, nice to read that your problem's been resolved. Just one more thing about the WMA issue you experienced with ffdshow: In the "ffdshow audio decoder configuration" there's the option "Codecs" which allows you to configure which codec's used for the supported audio formats. The libavcodec supporting WMA 8/9 is very incomplete (it doesn't work at all with WMA Pro, Lossless and Voice), therefore you could simply disable it. The system should fall back to using its standard decoders for WMA files in that case. Might be an option to try out if you were still interested in using the higher performance decoders (as claimed by the authors) of ffdshow for other video/audio formats.

I'll bear your suggestion in mind. Thanks