Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Built-in FLAC encoder preset specifies 16bit as max BPS (Read 3514 times) previous topic - next topic

Built-in FLAC encoder preset specifies 16bit as max BPS

Built-in converter preset for FLAC specifies "Highest BPS mode supported: 16", which is incorrect. Currently, this command line encoder accepts input data with up to 24 BPS.

Reply #1
Not fixed in 0.9.4 beta 1.

I must mention that everyone who converts his 24bit audio to FLAC using foobar2000 will get unexpected 16bit FLAC files. I faced this problem in the very same way.

Reply #2
I'm not disputing your claim, but it does seem to go against the description in the converter preset window itself:

With lossless, source bit depth is preserved unless specified otherwise in converter preferences page.

I assume that, unless you deselect "Keep lossless sources at original bit depth", this is not meant to happen; however, you seem to experience the problem.

Reply #3
What for do you think the "Highest BPS mode supported" option is?

It is intended to limit maximum bit-depth depending on the encoder capabilities, despite the "Keep lossless sources at original bit depth" option. For example, if some encoder cannot handle 32bit fp data, you have to convert your "original lossless sources", otherwise that encoder will return a error.

Reply #4
I'm just going by what I read, which seems rather ambiguous.

Reply #5
I just came to this forum to report this bug... looks like I'll keep it to a confirmation of your findings Egor ;-). Hope this will be fixed in the next release. Untill then I'm using the GUI that comes with the FLAC installer.

Reply #6
Or you can make a custom preset flac.

Reply #7
Well, since there is no changes in 0.9.4b2 regarding the issue, do the following if you are going to convert to 24 bit FLAC:

- Go to Preferences -> Tools -> Converter
- Select the "FLAC" preset
- Click Edit
- Change in the "Encoder" drop-down menu "FLAC" to "Custom"
- Change "Highest BPS mode supported" to "24"

Edit: fixed in 0.9.4 beta 3.