Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Unknown audio format (Read 2508 times) previous topic - next topic

Unknown audio format

I got some headerless wav files that i trying to figure out the format,
is there any program that could be useful?

some samples:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/l0ofqz

perhaps someone recognize this format?
all that i know is that they are 4-bit adpcm, 22khz, mono. (vox format is the closest i could get so far)

Any help would be apreciated.

Sorry for my bad english my first language is portuguese.

Unknown audio format

Reply #1
why do you need to know the format?  do you need to be able to play them, convert them, burn them to audio CD, etc. what task do you need to perform?

apart from curiosities sake, knowing the format doesn't really matter as long as the files are usable.

Unknown audio format

Reply #2
The video game or whatever application did know how to play its own files. However, the problem is that once these ADPCM audios have been extracted you cannot do squat with them. There are great many ADPCM variants and without a header telling which one it is and having the decoder for it nor foobar, nor your favorite CD burner will be able to 'use' these files.

VOX, or at the very least running the files at low samplerate, will give the general idea what's inside them. The quality is nowhere good enough for any 'use'.