Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack w/ Embedded Cue (Read 10992 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Can someone tell me how I can rip a WavPack image w/embedded cue?

And also how can I be sure I am getting the highest level of compression?

After some searching I though this command line was supposed to do it (forgive my n00bness).................

-hm -w "Cuesheet=@*.cue" -w "Artist=%a" -w "Album=%g" -w "Track=%n" -w "Title=%t" -w "Year=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "comment=EAC secure, Lossless WavePack " %s

.............."Copy Image & Create Cue Sheet/Compressed"......But I ended up with the image and cuesheet as two seperate files, and also the file was named <filename.wv>.wv, EAC seems to hate any file that doesn't have 3 letters, because I had the same problem with flac (and found a thread about it here).

Anyway..........like I said, Can someone tell me how I can rip a WavPack image w/embedded cue?
foobar2000 + EAC + Burrrn = Happiness

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #1
My command line is
Code: [Select]
-hlm -w "Cuesheet=@*.cue" -w "Album=%g" -w "Year=%y" -w "Genre=%m" %s
(which is pretty similiar to yours) and I think that the cuesheet is embedded inside your .wv. Open it with foobar and see if it works. The original .cue- file only doesn't get deleted (you have to do it manually before creating a new .wv with cuesheet in the same directory). And concerning the double ending, you can safely rename the file.

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #2
LaserSokrates has hit the nail on the head as far as the basic EAC > Wavpack process.

One suggestion, if you find it a nuisance to delete the cuesheet and rename the file, would be to use an application like REACT or WACK.

Although you won't be using the full potential of these programs, it will give you the tools required to do everything you need.  I believe both ensure the file is named correctly by default, and then you just need to add in a call to remove the cuesheet.

With regard to the compression, you can try messing with the -x switch.  Personally I use -hm, as I really don't see the additional encoding time to be worth the effort.  I'm not a speed junkie, but it is handier for me to be able to archive a CD rapidly at times.  If you are beginning the process of archiving all your CDs I guess you need to weigh this up.
I'm on a horse.

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #3
I just did the same for my cd collection a while ago, myself...your commandline is already correct for embedding the cuesheet.  When you select Copy Image & Create Cuesheet/Compressed, it creates the cuesheet file first and then embeds it into the WavPack image file (it just doesn't delete the .cue file after, so it's left on your hard drive).

You can delete it manually afterwards, but I'd recommend hanging onto it...I had a couple instances of messing around with foobar where I accidentally deleted the CUESHEET tag in the image file, so I was able to use Windows notepad to just copy and paste the info from the .cue file back into the .wv file.  You can also use fb2k to confirm that the cuesheet really is embedded in there, if you're not sure that the WavPack commandline in EAC is working properly.

You can also get rid of the -w "Track=%n" and -w "Title=%t" tags since you're ripping an image and not individual tracks, so they aren't necessary.

As for the highest compression, you can use -x1 switch in addition to -h, but it is EXTREMELY slow, I remember reading here that it's only recommended to use one or the other, not both.  The -x switch greatly slows down the encoding time but doesn't affect decoding time, whereas -h takes twice as long to encode and decode than if you used neither one (something to keep in mind when you want to transcode to a lossy format later).  It's all in the user's manual here: http://www.wavpack.com/wavpack_doc.html

The amount of space you'll save isn't a whole lot more IIRC and not worth the extra encoding time if you use both unless you're really squeezed for hard drive space.  I stuck with -hm and am pretty satisfied with the compression.

As for the filename...yeah, that's a minor bug with EAC.  You can just go ahead and rename it to filename.wv, and I'm willing to bet that's why your embedded cuesheets aren't being recognized in your media player.

I'm still new to this all, myself...so any mods/regs please correct me if I'm wrong (or feel free to add anything I missed). 

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #4
Looks like you guys beat me to the punch in the long time it took me to type all that out...sometimes brevity is best. 

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #5
BTW, whats the way to go for splitting the one wv file to multiple wv files (by the Cuesheet tag)?

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #6
foobar (GUI) or ACDIR (command line).

Looks like you guys beat me to the punch in the long time it took me to type all that out...sometimes brevity is best. 
And I thought it was only me that happend to.

BTW, your answer was probably better.  I don't see a problem with a few duplicate answers, as it generally demonstrates to the OP that the advice is good, which yours was.

Such postscripts are generally better placed by editing your original post BTW.
I'm on a horse.

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #7
My command line is
Code: [Select]
-hlm -w "Cuesheet=@*.cue" -w "Album=%g" -w "Year=%y" -w "Genre=%m" %s
(which is pretty similiar to yours) and I think that the cuesheet is embedded inside your .wv. Open it with foobar and see if it works. The original .cue- file only doesn't get deleted (you have to do it manually before creating a new .wv with cuesheet in the same directory). And concerning the double ending, you can safely rename the file.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371437"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well.....the image does appear to have the cue sheet embedded, but every track has the same title.

I ran into the same problem trying to embedded cue sheets into flac, and found out that flac does this purposely, which is why I am trying wavpack.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening with wavpack as well?

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #8
Because you are setting the TITLE tag for the image file (-w "Title=%t")?

I believe foobar will take the image tags over the cuesheet values.

Remove the TITLE tag (using Properties dialogue) and reload the file.
I'm on a horse.

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #9
Because you are setting the TITLE tag for the image file (-w "Title=%t")?

I believe foobar will take the image tags over the cuesheet values.

Remove the TITLE tag (using Properties dialogue) and reload the file.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371522"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmm....I'll try that right now.............

*crosses fingers*

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #10
But, anyway, guys, what is an advantage of storing music with CUE-file?..
Why not encode in separate tracks?..the result is just the same, ain't it?..

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #11
Hmm....didn't seem to work, I'm going to try to rip a new image without the track and title tags though...........

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #12
WORKED!

YAY!!

Thanks guys

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #13
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371524"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In a lot of ways it's just preference, I wanted to rip albums to a single file, and of course have the cue sheet embedded so I could choose different tracks, seek through tracks etc. etc.

I'm sure there are other reasons too, perhaps someone will want to explain their's.

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #14
Read my thoughts in another thread.

Hmm... actually, that's not the best answer.  Search all my previous posts for one of my many answers on this subject.

In essense: ease; TRACK 01 INDEX 00 tracks; not worrying about gaps; one file archive; possible psychological aspect of one file equals one cd; etc.

Edit: Stop your searching, I just found another of my pearls of wisdom for you (in fact, all my posts in that thread are actually a demonstration of true archiving enlightenment).  Don't say I never give you nothing.  It's bad grammar for one.
I'm on a horse.

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #15
I have just created a .Wv with Embedded Cue...It looks neat, really it does...
However, I have a question - how do you split?..
I use Fb2K 0.9 RC and can not find this function - where is it?..

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #16
Convert the track(s) to another (lossless) format... that'd be my first idea.

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #17
And then, Synthetic Soul, there is another question - how do you check whether the file was ripped correctly?..
I mean that when ripping into separate tracks you can use "Test&Copy Selected Tracks" feature and you would know if you have a problem...

LaserSokrates,
no, i don't think it is an elegant solution, is it?..

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #18
Perhaps not elegant, but It might be good nevertheless. If you want to use it on your DAP, you still have to convert it, so you can convert it directly from your .wv. And burning a CD directly from the .wv also works with foobar and burrrn!. So why would you just want to split your file without reencoding? There might be cases where it's necessary, but usually, my solution might be sufficient. But nevertheless, I'd also like to know another way. MP3Split or how's it called also doesn't reencode...

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #19
However, I have a question - how do you split?..
I use Fb2K 0.9 RC and can not find this function - where is it?..
See my post #7.  In foobar you would use Converter, and split to any format that you require, be it WavPack or MP3.  No data lost.  Gaps are appended to the end of the previous file.

And then, Synthetic Soul, there is another question - how do you check whether the file was ripped correctly?..
I mean that when ripping into separate tracks you can use "Test&Copy Selected Tracks" feature and you would know if you have a problem...
EAC has T&C lined up for ripping to image file; hopefully that will be released soon.  I use secure mode, and have never had a problem with it.
I'm on a horse.

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #20
Well, that is a piece of good news...
Hope they implement it ASAP...

WavPack w/ Embedded Cue

Reply #21
I'd like a way to create WVs with embedded track info for, say, The Four Seasons -- only!  I mean, just that part of the CD and not the other concerti, but with the embedded info for each movement and so that I can readily hop to Autumn (at least in foobar) if that's the part that I want.
I've been embarrassed to admit my inability; I've extracted ranges in EAC with FLAC and then edited tag info, but there's no way to make tags for movements within the whole piece.
I experimented with WavPack 4.4 tonight for the first time when I realized there wasn't any satisfactory way with FLAC to capture the blended/segued Love Beatles pastiche album.
I was very pleased with the outcome, though I had to re-rip when I found that freedb thinks there's a song called Dear Purdence .