Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 0 samples write offset units (Read 7265 times) previous topic - next topic

0 samples write offset units

Can someone please tell me which recent DVD rewriters have a 0 samples write offset? Is LG the only company which produces such drives?

OT: Are Plextor devices the only modern ones that can overread their read offset?

Reply #1
Can someone please tell me which recent DVD rewriters have a 0 samples write offset? Is LG the only company which produces such drives?

OT: Are Plextor devices the only modern ones that can overread their read offset?

I have a LG GSA-4167B.  It has a 0 write offset.  I think some older drives also had 0 write offsets, but I don't recall which.
About the overreading...
Not even all plextors can do so.  Some recent models were rebagded BenQ's if I recall.  The 740A and possibly the 750.  No overreading.  Other brands have made overreading drives in the past.  There was the Yamaha CRW-F1 or something.  Point is there are other drives that do so, just not many.  Oh, and 99% of the time, whether a drive can overread or not, a rip will bit identical.  Only in a few small cases will overreading result in different data.  Also drive with negative read offsets often overread.  Hope this had been midly helpful.

Reply #2
I have an LG GSA-4082B and it has a 0 write offset too.

Reply #3

I know that at least some Pioneer DVD drives can overread into the lead-out to fully compensate for their read offset of -48 samples.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....&pid=415065

Reply #5
Do you guys know if the LG GSA-H10N also has a 0 samples write offset?

It has a 667 read offset correction and (according to this review, a combined r/w offset of 667 (nero dae test) which would lead to a 0 write offset.
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #6

Do you guys know if the LG GSA-H10N also has a 0 samples write offset?

It has a 667 read offset correction and (according to this review, a combined r/w offset of 667 (nero dae test) which would lead to a 0 write offset.

Just noticed something... One the page you posted, the last test - the picture shows that the drive used was GSA-4166B, still the text mentions "The LG GSA-H10A reads DVD-RAM media at 5x and it reads the test disc without problems."

Totally off-topic, but I found it weird.

Edit: Hey, noticed something else. The whole article is about GSA-H10A not N.

Reply #7
Edit: Hey, noticed something else. The whole article is about GSA-H10A not N.

Both feature the RENESAS R8J32018FPV Chipset ... and the H10A can be crossflashed to H10N (which has better features).

I guess the differences between H10A and H10N are similar to those between PX-755 and PX-760

Code: [Select]
GSA-H10A -> GSA-H10N

These two drives appear to be identical internally. The firmware revision code for both drives shows the string “GSA-H10NMAIN”, indicating that the firmware used for both drives is meant for the same drive. This alludes to the fact that the drives use identical hardware.

The H10N has more powerful features, which is the main reason behind cross flashing the H10A -> H10N :

H10A :

* 10x max DVD+/-R reading speed
        * 8x max DVD+RW reading speed
        * 8x DVD+DL max writing speed
        * 4x DVD-DL max writing speed
        * 5x DVD-RAM max reading/writing speed

H10N :

* 16x max DVD+/-R reading speed
        * 13x max DVD+RW reading speed
        * 10x DVD+DL max writing speed
        * 6x DVD-DL max writing speed
        * 12x DVD-RAM max reading/writing speed

The cross flash is accomplished by simply flashing the H10A with TDB's version of JJ11 for the H10N. However, due to the fact that the firmware used for the cross flash is actually based on Hitachi's version of the H10N, there are additional benefits :

* UDMA4 interface (H10A : UDMA2)
        * hardware based automatic bitsetting/book typing (H10A : manual bitsetting/book typing)
        * DVD-VIDEO single layer discs rip at 10x max (H10A : 5x max)
        * DVD-VIDEO double layer discs rip at 8x max (H10A : 5x max)

These features have been verified to work correctly on the cross flashed H10N.

Should you want to flash your drive back to a H10A, you can do so using TDB's version of JL0x firmware for the H10A.

More information on this subject can be found in this thread :
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=177603
    (Thanks to TDB for the modified firmware which makes the cross flashing process possible in the first place, the various people in the thread above who cross flashed their drives and ran tests and especially those who responded to my requests for information on certain features of the drive.)

Reply #8
Thanks for the info JeanLuc. One more thing - you mentioned PX-755A vs. PX-760A. Is there a hardware difference between the two, or can you also upgrade the 755A to a 760A? I remember you writing that the 760A has a newer pick up unit or something.

Reply #9
The 755 basically is a 'tuned' 716 with a smaller buffer ... the 760 is based on the 755 but has a different chipset revision AFAIK ... crossflashing therefore doesn't work.

Reply #11
Can anyone confirm that the LG GSA-H10N also has a write offset of zero?  It sounds like the one to get.

Robert

Reply #13
JeanLuc did already.

BTW, any idea if an external version is planned which also features a 0 samples write offset (preferably with LightScribe)?

LG's lightscribe units identify themselves with the "L" in their designation ... e.g. H20L

And you can build yourself an external unit anytime by buying an external 5,25" enclosure

Reply #15
I know I can build on myself, but the enclosures I saw are either ugly, huge or expensive. The 2166D didn't look bad.

Neither did the 5163D that I sold after 2 weeks ...

Reply #17
DVD Writing quality was sub-par compared with my 712A/716A and BenQ 1620/1640 ... so I sold it.