Skip to main content
Topic: pre-emphasis: what happens when... (Read 7084 times) previous topic - next topic

pre-emphasis: what happens when...

ssia (or most of it, anyway)

This error while burning would cause the music to have a disproportionately hot high end (treble, right? The reason why I ask is that I have a few sources where the treble is boosted to the same degree, and has the same characteristics. My thinking is that some joker, somewhere along the chain, screwed up and burned with the pre-emphasis flag checked. If this were the case, aren't there some specific EQ tricks that could be used to reverse the unintentional mastering error? Or do I have to do the work the hard way: by-ear and by-hand?

Thanks, in advance, for the assistance.

Reply #1
I think that turning on the pre emphasis flag won't change the data burned on the CD. The only effect is that CD Players will perform a de-emphasis on the original data, and end up with too little treble.
Rippers ignore the emphasis flag, and it seems never to be used in commercial release, nowadays.

I could test it, it would be a good use for those CMC CDRs I've got

Reply #2
It does... but it is a little bit complicated as always... if you're interested I can make you some kinda "essay" on the theme  I must prepare me because it is technically complicated and my English is not always as good as I would need 

Reply #4
I think that turning on the pre emphasis flag won't change the data burned on the CD. The only effect is that CD Players will perform a de-emphasis on the original data, and end up with too little treble.
Rippers ignore the emphasis flag, and it seems never to be used in commercial release, nowadays.

I could test it, it would be a good use for those CMC CDRs I've got

When did CDs stop having pre-emphasis?

I have quite a few CDs made in the 1980s, and since EAC will not detect a pre-emphasis flag on a CD, I have no way of knowing unless I do a listening test to find out if the treble of my rip is boosted way higher than it should be.  And why don't rippers detect pre-emphasis flags?

Anyone else have any headaches over this pre-emphasis stuff?

Why was pre-emphasis even used in the first place?

Reply #5
EAC detects it but doesn't apply any correction. As far as I know iTunes is the only ripper which detects and correct preemphasis.

Reply #6
Why was pre-emphasis even used in the first place?

Do you remember analog tapes? Most of them had pre-emphasis applied, so it's likely that the pre-emphasis flag was there to allow you to use a single master for both tape and CD.

Reply #8
I never tried.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018