Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 to m4a quality prob (Read 2913 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 to m4a quality prob

Hey everyone, i purchased a new phone and i ve put 1GB mem card.

1st, i used the Nokia PC Suite to convert files to m4a and it worked perfectly. All files are @ 64kbps quality and are quite small in size.

But, i cant use Nokia PCSuite only to copy the MP3s to my phone, cant store them in my hard drive.

So  i used the Xilisoft Audio Converter (v2.1) and the BonkEnc (v1.0 beta4) and in both applications i chose 64kbps format / Format .m4a/mp4 / MPEG version MPEG-4 / and i tried all AAC object types (Main, Low, LTP). All files that are converted are ~96kbps and not 64.

You know whats wrong guys?

What i ve noticed is that when i press Alt+3 on Winamp to see the properties of the files there is a difference in the output file between the PCSuite and Xilisoft/BonkEnc (Xilisoft and BonkEnc dont have this HE option)

MPEG-4 AAC HE, 198.669 secs, 64 kbps, 44100 Hz  <--- Nokia PC Suite
MPEG-4 AAC main, 198.669 secs, 95 kbps, 44100 Hz <--- Xilisoft/BonkEnc

Thanks in advance.

MP3 to m4a quality prob

Reply #1
Those suites are problably using the old  FAAC aac encoder. The "Main" profile shouldn't be used, but rather the LC ( Low) one. Still, it is a low quality encoder (compared to Nero, CT and Apple).

Nero encoder has now a commandline edition which is free to download and use. If you can set those suites to use it, you will get better quality.

Edit : See this thread for the Nero encoder: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=44275