Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: transcoding from 160 cbr lame to -V 5 --vbr-new how big of a no-no? (Read 3070 times) previous topic - next topic

transcoding from 160 cbr lame to -V 5 --vbr-new how big of a no-no?

I know it's a big no-no to transcode - but how big of a no-no?

I need more space on my mp3 player (can't afford a new one)  - so, will I lose a lot...will I be likely noticing artifiacts and stuff?

help

thanks

Reply #1
If your transcoding strictly for portable use and not removing your originals, then simply try the differnt modes and listen to which start to sound worse and use the next higher quality.

Really, only YOU can make the determination of what you accept for sound quality vs size. Try them all and see.

As an aside, if your that low on space, maybe its time to stop ripping/downloading until you have more space.

Reply #2
At those bitrates it's a huge no-no, you should probably stick with your 160k files. You could probably shave about ~35kbps off of your original 160k files but you will probably notice ugly artefacts.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #3
It also depends on your original encoder and the next..

Reply #4
 ...or, you could try using MP3Packer to losslessly convert your CBR files to VBR.

It won't save a great deal of space but it will definitely save some.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #5
I would simply convert some samples and have a listen.
And perhaps try "--preset 104" (the lowest ABR preset which doesn't resample).

Reply #6
Having re-encoded a fair amount of spoken audio (no music) from CBR160 to -V 8 VBR, and found no ABXable difference, I know the reasonable suggestions to try it for yourself is a no-brainer.