Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Broken Wire in Etymotic Headphone Plug (Read 6040 times) previous topic - next topic

Broken Wire in Etymotic Headphone Plug

Today I put on my Etymotic ER-6i headphones and discovered that I only had audio in one ear.  I can get the other ear to come in by pressing the wire into the rubber headphone plug, but I have to hold it in a precise position.  Clearly the connection is broken inside the plug.

What are my options?  After searching the forum I have the impression that if I cut the plug off and splice a new one on it will destroy the sound quality.  Are there shops that can repair it properly?  Surely I don't need to replace the entire headphones just because of a problem with the plug!

Reply #1
Why not get in touch with Etymotic and see what options they offer you?   
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #2
Good idea, why didn't I think of that? 

Reply #3
I have to hold it in a precise position.  Clearly the connection is broken inside the plug.

You're sure by the way it isn't the positioning in the ear that's causing it?

Reply #4

I have to hold it in a precise position.  Clearly the connection is broken inside the plug.

You're sure by the way it isn't the positioning in the ear that's causing it?

No, I'm talking about the plug that goes into the mp3 player or whatever.  I've had the headphones for about 2 years.  I checked the head-fi message boards and this is a common problem with the ER-6i model.

Reply #5
If you put a new plug on properly, the sound quality will be exactly the same as before. Even a fairly cheap plug will give you identical quality -- for as long as it lasts.

The biggest difficulty is likely to be finding good quality plugs for sale, especially in 1/8 inch size. You probably have to mail order/web purchase them, and most places that carry such things probably have a minimum order that significantly exceeds the price of one plug.

I have re-attached plugs more than a few times. It is a bit more difficult than with plugs made to be put on by people. The originals are designed for machine attachment and for being sealed in hard rubber/plastic. They just aren't very friendly to your soldering iron and the connections are quite fragile as is.

I use the product called Goop. I apply it a little at a time, over several days, until the plug and wires are well encased. There are a number of different Goops: automotive, plumbing, electrical, etc. I think that is all marketing and the product is always the same. Be very careful not to get it on the part that needs to go into the jack, It is extremely difficult to remove.

Reply #6
Thanks for the suggestions, Andy.  I was originally thinking more along the lines of just cutting the wire of an old pair a few inches from the plug and splicing the wires into the good ones, which I don't think would be acceptable.  Attaching directly to a new plug is a good idea and I have confirmation that it works with good sound quality here.

Goop sounds like great stuff too.

Edit: I just re-read the other forum I linked to and what he actually did is cut the wire in the old pair at the top just below each earpiece, leaving a Y-shaped cable.  Then he took apart each etymotic earbud and soldered the cable directly in to each one.  I'm not too eager to try that method.

Reply #7
I use the product called Goop. I apply it a little at a time, over several days, until the plug and wires are well encased. There are a number of different Goops: automotive, plumbing, electrical, etc. I think that is all marketing and the product is always the same. Be very careful not to get it on the part that needs to go into the jack, It is extremely difficult to remove.
Good suggestions, AndyH-ha. For sealing you can also try hard automotive silicone sealer, or paint on epoxy glue - both will give a good looking and tough finish. Another option is something like Pratley Steel Putty which is a hard machinable epoxy putty - you can put it on then machine off the excess until it looks nice (Pratley is South African, I am sure you can get a good equivalent elsewhere in the world, or try one of their International Distributors). You can get a really nice looking and feeling fix this way. (I don't work for Pratley by the way - I've just been fixing stuff with pratley putty for as long as I can remember).

You will need to split open the etymotic cable and seperate the strands. Burn off the insulating glaze on each strand with a match before soldering onto the new plug.