Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems editing ID3v1 tag (Read 7227 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems editing ID3v1 tag

I have a few MP3 files for which it appears to be impossible to edit the ID3v1 tag. I can put anything in the track title field in Winamp (I'm using v 2.81), but the playlist and track info scrolling field will still show the same erroneous title. The strange thing is that the correct data is shown if I open the file info edit window.

If I remove the tag completely (I've tried this both with the tag editor, ID3-TagIT, and Winamp) the filename is displayed as it should in the playlist, but once I put something in the tag, that same track title is displaying once again. The only way of solving the problem seems to be to add a ID3v2 tag, since the ID3v2 title will have priority over the ID3v1 info, but I don't want to use that tag format...

The only reason to this I can think of is that the ID3v1 tag is created with some other utility which does not comply with the ID3v1 standard. Anyone got any suggestions as to how I could remove that tag?

Reply #1
Additional note:

I've noticed that this problem appears only on tracks which has too long track titles for the ID3v1 track title field. The titles do not display in full when I try to edit them, but strangely enough they do in the Winamp playlist. It seems that they somehow have got longer track titles than the ID3v1 format usually allows.

Reply #2
Well, if it's truly a case of needing to remove the tag - and if nothing else seems to do the trick - you could open your files in a HEX editor (there are many good freeware HEX editors available) and delete the tag manually. But I wonder... are you referring to saved playlists? If you are using M3U files, Winamp saves both the displayed filename and playing time within the playlist. If that's the case simply changing the tag info won't affect the way Winamp displays the tag in the playlist editor, since it won't even be accessing the MP3 (but that would explain why the correct information is shown in the file info window). Just a thought.

- M.

Reply #3
Thanks, M! I will probably try a hex editor. It's not a m3u thing; the faulty track title is displayed in Winamp's playlist window even if I just open that particular MP3 file.

Reply #4
Your MP3s have Lyrics tags, Winamp can read and use them for title formatting. Tag can remove them if they are in v2 format.

Reply #5
Your MP3s have Lyrics tags, Winamp can read and use them for title formatting. Tag can remove them if they are in v2 format.

The strange thing is that Winamp does not display any v2 info at all. Do you mean that there still could be some lyrics info hidden in there? I'll try the Tag tool, thanks for the suggestion.

Reply #6
If it isn't a lyrics tag and it is a downloaded mp3 it could have been tagged by a player that doesn't write tags into files too well. I've ran into a couple of players that add tags in such as strange way that Winamp can't properly remove them.

Reply #7
I got it from a friend, so I'll ask him how he tagged it. That software should be avoided!

Reply #8

The strange thing is that Winamp does not display any v2 info at all. Do you mean that there still could be some lyrics info hidden in there? I'll try the Tag tool, thanks for the suggestion.

I used to have the same problem with some mp3s i downloaded. As Case said, it's probably Lyrics tags, and I think he meant Lyricsv2 format, not id3v2 (correct me if I'm wrong).
Indeed Tag can remove them, and also Renatager. At least these 2 worked for me.