Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Setting up EAC with LAME.EXE (Read 3880 times) previous topic - next topic

Setting up EAC with LAME.EXE

NEWBIE QUESTION:

I see that most of you use something between:

High bitrate VBR: -V 0 --vbr-new

and

High bitrate VBR: -V 2 --vbr-new

My question is, how in the world do I specify one of these settings in EAC?  Looks like some may be under "Compression Options" on the "LAME DLL" tab - but they don't all seem to be there...

Please help

Reply #2
NEWBIE QUESTION
refer to the pinned thread "List of recommended LAME settings" at the top of this forum ...[link]
or the Hydrogenaudio Wiki ...[link]

Great.  Thank you.

I think I have done it correctly. 

In the "External Compression" tab, I have entered the following line into the "Additional Command Line Options":

-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

And I have unchecked "Add ID3 tag". 

I think I understand the "-V 0 --vbr-new" portion - but why am I unchecking "Add ID3 tag" and then manually adding those tags via the command line?  Also, do I want both sets of tags (v1 & v2) or just the latest version 2?  Why?

Also, I'm guessing that when using the command line option it doesn't matter what my "Bit Rate" on the "external compression" tab is set at - is that correct?

Thanks so much for your help.

Keith

Reply #3
...why am I unchecking "Add ID3 tag" and then manually adding those tags via the command line?
...it doesn't matter what my "Bit Rate" on the "external compression" tab is set at - is that correct?

Remember those links? This is written right below the EAC+LAME setup instructions in the first one:
These commandlines are generally recommended over EAC's own tagging routines and its LAME encoder parameter passing preset, which is known to cause problems.
The bitrate setting serves a cosmetic purpose and is used for the size display in EAC's main window.

Also, do I want both sets of tags (v1 & v2) or just the latest version 2? Why?

ID3v1 tags are very limited compared to newer tagging systems . But it doesn't hurt to keep them around for compatibility's sake. Some hard/soft -ware still rely on them.

Reply #4
Thanks Cosmo.  That helps a lot.  I think I'm ready to roll.

I appreciate your assistance.