Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FreeDB not working for some discs (Read 4077 times) previous topic - next topic

FreeDB not working for some discs

Hi,

I have some CD's of music I have transferred from LP then burnt to disc.  I have entered information about the CD's using EAC and submitted them to the freeDB.  I have subsequently been able to download these details using EAC, Audiograbber and dBPowerAMP.  However, foobar is stubbornly resisting!
Foobar is able to retrieve details of other CD's (e.g. store bought) but not the ones I have created myself.

I get this error message:

No information found on server for files:

"cdda://00DA0AA3,01" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,02" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,03" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,04" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,05" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,06" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,07" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,08" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,09" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,10" (0)
"cdda://00DA0AA3,11" (0)

And the console shows this:

Startup time : 0:00.339607
cddb request via http: http://freedb.freedb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi?cm...+v0.5.1&proto=6
cddb response: 202 No match for disc ID 00da0aa3.

I have noticed that the disc ID mentioned in these messages from foobar is different to the ID in the freeDB.  (I searched the freeDB and checked).
So at this stage I am guessing that for some reason foobar is sending the wrong discID when querying the freeDB.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Thanks,
spockman.

Reply #1
If you use foo_freedb2 to look up information for a list of audio CD tracks, it will use whatever disc ID foobar2000 uses in the cdda:// URL. Unfortunately, there seems to have been a misunderstanding when I asked Peter, if this is the CDDB disc ID. It happens to be the cdplayer.ini disc ID.

So future versions of foo_freedb2 will calculate the CDDB disc ID from the track lengths as is now done for all non-audio CD tracks. This might lead to inaccurate disc IDs, since foo_freedb2 does not read the disc TOC itself, so having the CDDA input compute the proper disc id would have been nicer. Even if the use of CDDB disc IDs for cdda:// URLs was initially intended, it is too late to fix this now, as it would break playlists and metadata stored for audio CDs in foobar2000.

If you intend to rip your CDs instead of directly playing them in foobar2000, you can rip them first and use foo_freedb2 on the converted tracks as a temporary workaround.

Reply #2
Thanks very much for your reply foosion.  I'm not sure I understand it fully (my fault, not yours!) but at least it seems as though foo_freedb2 is operating as intended - i.e. this is not a bug.  If this can be fixed in future versions that would be great.

Incidentally, during my extensive searches for a solution to this problem I have notcied that, over time, a number of people have suggested/requested that foobar be able to: (i) read CD text, and/or (ii) interact with the cdplayer.ini file.  I too would welcome these features.  So if any of you clever folk have some spare time on your hands..... 

My grateful thanks to all involved with foobar,
spockman.

Reply #3
I am still finding this problem frustrating, so a couple more questons...

So future versions of foo_freedb2 will calculate the CDDB disc ID from the track lengths as is now done for all non-audio CD tracks. This might lead to inaccurate disc IDs, since foo_freedb2 does not read the disc TOC itself, so having the CDDA input compute the proper disc id would have been nicer. Even if the use of CDDB disc IDs for cdda:// URLs was initially intended, it is too late to fix this now, as it would break playlists and metadata stored for audio CDs in foobar2000.

How far off are these "future versions"?  I'm not trying to be pushy, just curious.  Will the above be incorporated in v0.9.3 as per this thread?

Also, foosion, I couldn't get this to work:

If you intend to rip your CDs instead of directly playing them in foobar2000, you can rip them first and use foo_freedb2 on the converted tracks as a temporary workaround.

I ripped to wav, then added the files to my playlist then tried to get tags from freeDB but no luck.  Any further guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks all,
spockman