Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar + movie -> higher cpu usage!? (Read 5865 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar + movie -> higher cpu usage!?

Today I discovered that foobar needs more cpu ressources when I watch a movie. That seems really strange to me and I'm not sure if its a problem with foobar or the directshow subsystem.

When using the secret rabbit resampler and watching a movie the foobar cpu usage goes up to 30%, from 0-8% without the movie. Same problem with the PPHS resampler and even without any dsp programs the foobar cpu usage is higher when watching a movie, but not that significantly.
Running Winamp or other audioplayers doesnt affect cpu usage of foobar, only watching movies with a directshow filter. The videoplayer process isnt affected by running foobar, so I thought I'd ask first here.

I use foobar ver. 0.9.2 or v0.8.3 on a machine with WinXP SP1, Soundcard nForce2 on Board, CPU AthlonXP @1750MHz

Anyone ever heard of such a problem?

Reply #1
Taskmanager is known for its rather unreliable CPU usage display, which could be another reason.

Reply #2
Taskmanager is known for its rather unreliable CPU usage display, which could be another reason.

Where is this information coming from??

Reply #3
does Process Explorer report the same things?

Reply #4

Personal experience, and articles like this: CPU usage in Task Manager may be incorrect?

Reply #5

Personal experience, and articles like this: CPU usage in Task Manager may be incorrect?

@foosion: You're right, sometimes the TaksManager is inaccurate. But first: I checked the values already with Process Explorer, and second: even TaskManager isnt off base >20%.

So still the same problem. Could please someone check this on his machine? I really like foobar, but with this prob it is not usable as my audioplayer... 
Also flashmovies in Firefox cause the problem 

Reply #6
That doesn't happen here. Is only the displayed CPU usage high, or can you somehow notice an actual difference in system performance? Also, what components are you using - most importantly output, DSP, user inteface, panels/visualisations?

Reply #7
thnx for the quick answer. here the info you asked for:

foobar v0.8.3:
it happens with following output plugins: Kernel Streaming, Direct Sound, DirectSound v2.0 and waveOut. But not with the Null Output.
Activated DSPs are: Volume Control and Resampler SSRC (resampling to 48kHz)
without SSRC there is still an difference, but it is neglectible

foobar v0.9.2:
currently I have only the Standard Output, the one that comes with the Setup File, I guess its WaveOut
The following DSPs are used: Resampler PPHS or Resampler (secrect rabbit), ATSurround or convert stereo to 4 channel
like above: the more DSPs the bigger the difference

In both foobar versions no other visualization plugins or special user interfaces are used.

When running v0.9.2 with secret rabbit code resampler the system responds quick and everything is fine. But when I additionally run a TV app (which uses about 40-50%) the system replies slow. That means it is not only a measurable difference, there is also a felt performance difference. The overall cpu usage reaches up to ~85%.

I just tested it with my second soundcard (Soundblaster Live 5.1 Digital), same thing there. So it seems to me that it cannot be related to the soundcard or the drivers.

Reply #8
Well it seems to be a problem with my system, just found out that winamp has the same prob. Since I use no DSPs in Winamp the cpu usage never went that high that I would realize it, until watching it with process explorer   

So everything is fine with foobar... 
Anyways, thanks for the help.

I know this is not the right forum to ask, but anybody any ideas what could cause this? Maybe I should change the videocard!?