Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Accidentally wiped out my collection (Read 14688 times) previous topic - next topic

Accidentally wiped out my collection

Reply #25
so, if you create a playlist in the playlist tree panel with assigned tracks but afterwards want to delete it, then  the only way to do so without deleting the tracks physically is through the  Library>Playlist Tree>Selection>Remove and not through the context menu itself and this "looooong" way to safely delete your playlist only is very circumstantial and represents a  major obstacle, esp. to new users, i think!
it would make much more sense if the command "Remove" is included in the context menu of the playlist tree! if you had followed my thought and logic you would have understood what i am pointing at!
obviously, you either cannot or you don't want to, so make up your mind which one is true!

Actually, the playlist tree specific context menu is available by middle clicking or shift-right clicking a node by default.
There used to be a link to my website here.

Reply #26

so, if you create a playlist in the playlist tree panel with assigned tracks but afterwards want to delete it, then  the only way to do so without deleting the tracks physically is through the  Library>Playlist Tree>Selection>Remove and not through the context menu itself and this "looooong" way to safely delete your playlist only is very circumstantial and represents a  major obstacle, esp. to new users, i think!
it would make much more sense if the command "Remove" is included in the context menu of the playlist tree! if you had followed my thought and logic you would have understood what i am pointing at!
obviously, you either cannot or you don't want to, so make up your mind which one is true!

Actually, the playlist tree specific context menu is available by middle clicking or shift-right clicking a node by default.

thank you very much!

the question is why isn't the specific playlist tree context menu available per right mose-click (by default) when you are already in the "playlist tree" panel itself???
...and have the playlist tree "unspecific" context menu per middle-click or shift+right-click!

it makes much more sense and sounds logically, if you don't mind!

what i mean is that the most needed and useful functions are pretty hard to get while extended and not so common (even unspecific) are so easily accessible - a kind of inverse logic i don't really understand!

it should be easier to remove a playlist and its content than to delete it permanently. it's closer to mind, more logical, more user-friendly, etc. etc. ..... and not vice versa!

for example, if you hadn't told me that how to access this important feature i wouldn't have known it at all or at least not untill i've read dozens of posts and tutorials, if any at all. even then, i might miss it! 

anyway, i still think that i have a strong point which should be taken into consideration! ...for every user's sake, not only for my sake as previously suggested!

this will improve the use of this great player and its components which we (not only the new users, i hope) are all looking forward to!

cheers,
mihail

Reply #27
mpeople,

It isn't difficult to change the right-click (or middle-click) functions.  You can go to the "Mouse & Keyboard" section beneath the Playlist Tree section in the Preferences.

Reply #28
mpeople,

It isn't difficult to change the right-click (or middle-click) functions.  You can go to the "Mouse & Keyboard" section beneath the Playlist Tree section in the Preferences.

kockroach, thanks a lot!!!!!!!!  ....learning by doing is the key to success!

where can i read more about editing tags, foobar's functions, its components, etc. to make more use of them?

thus i could spare you answering some boring questions (from your point of view) and ask for help when really needed! 

since my start experience with foobar was so extreme, i think things can only get better!!! 

thank you all for the support!

cheers,
mihail

Reply #29
mpeople,

A good place to start is the foobar2000 Wiki.

I definitely recommend reading up on thing before just jumping in....makes things much easier.

Also, check out the list of recommended sites thread for more info.

Reply #31

it sounds like you might have lost most of your music. i would immediately halt ALL activity on that drive because the files may still be left intact if data isnt written over them. i would use a program called restoration to try and recover the files.

thank you very much for the restoration tool!

the good news is that it managed to find all deleted files and folders, so they are still there 

the not so good is that i must restore each file manually and specify the destination folder - 3120 operations 

i tried "system restore" and it couldn't restore them automatically, so i did undo "system restore" and i'm back to where i started 

i will see if i can find a less time-consuming solution on the net and post it of course! if not.....there's still an option

meanwhile, if someone knows of such a solution, please let me know, it would save me a lot of hard work!

cheers,
mihail

http://officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

Reply #33
I understand your logic.  Honestly.  There are definitely some usability issues with removing playlists, removing tracks, and ambiguity concerning the "delete" function with regard to the playlist tree plugin.  But in the end, you're still trying to fault the program for user error.

I agree though; the recycle bin should be used if the the user so desires.