Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3infp problem with APEv2 tags in MP3 file (Read 4744 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3infp problem with APEv2 tags in MP3 file

Hi.

I'm using Mp3tag v2.36 to edit/create ID3v1 and APEv2 tags in my MP3 files.  Both sets of tags seem to be read fine by the in_mpg123 input plugin for Winamp 5.  But when I try to use mp3infp (v2.52f) to read or edit the APE tag, all of the fields are blank.  After some playing around, I've discovered that mp3infp will only read the field if it is formatted as "Artist" or "Genre" or "Title".  Mp3tag stores them as "ARTIST" or "GENRE" or "TITLE" (all caps instead of mixed case) when I create them but it seems to read them with either mixed case or all caps.  The in_mpg123 plugin seems to read the tag fields properly either way.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Is it a bug in mp3infp?  Or is there no standard about how the fields should be named?  Is there any way to fix this so that Mp3tag will create APE tags that mp3infp will recognize?

Update:  I found the APEv2 specs in the Wiki and it says the the Item Keys are case sensitive, but readers are encouraged to be case insensitive.  Mp3tag, in_mpg123, foobar2k and a few other programs I tried all seemed to handle Item Keys in any case.  So I guess this is a problem with mp3infp only recognizing the one case.

Reply #1
I think you can feel free to contact him in English.

Reply #2
@kmart

I am using Mp3tag v2.36 and mp3infp ver2.52f too. I do not have any of the problems that you have listed. I am using ID3v1 and ID3v2 (v2.3/ ISO-8859-1 codepage). Does the OS you are using support Unicode? If you are using UTF encoding for your ID3v2 tags, try changing to ISO enoding.

You can instruct Mp3tag to add APEv2 tags in the Tools --> Options --> Tags --> Mpeg tab.

Hope this helps.
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

Reply #3
I'm using Mp3tag v2.36 to edit/create ID3v1 and APEv2 tags in my MP3 files.  Both sets of tags seem to be read fine by the in_mpg123 input plugin for Winamp 5.  But when I try to use mp3infp (v2.52f) to read or edit the APE tag, all of the fields are blank.  After some playing around, I've discovered that mp3infp will only read the field if it is formatted as "Artist" or "Genre" or "Title".  Mp3tag stores them as "ARTIST" or "GENRE" or "TITLE" (all caps instead of mixed case) when I create them but it seems to read them with either mixed case or all caps.  The in_mpg123 plugin seems to read the tag fields properly either way.

I've just checked it, and when I create new fields with the tag panel on the left they are mixed case. Also just saving the tags again [Ctrl+S] will turn the 7 standard fields into mixed case.

Reply #4
Thanks dano.  After cutting and pasting to remove any old tag information and write the new ones, the item keys are mixed case.  But in the meantime I had modified mp3infp to be case insensitive for reading the item keys.  (Seems like a good idea anyway.)  If anyone wants a copy of the modified dll let me know.

Reply #5
----snip----
I am using Mp3tag v2.36 and mp3infp ver2.52f too. I do not have any of the problems that you have listed. I am using ID3v1 and ID3v2 (v2.3/ ISO-8859-1 codepage).
----snip----

Oops. I just noticed that you are using ID3v1 and APEv2 tags and not ID3v2 tags. I tested with a few files tagged with ID3v1 and APEv2 and have the same problem that you mention 

Tried dano's suggestion and it works but mp3infp is still showing the Title tag as blank for APEv2 tags. If I select each track individually in Mp3Tag and save them again (Ctrl+S), the Title tag is displayed properly in mp3infp. It is really a hassle.

The modified mp3infp dll sounds like a good idea. I would be grateful if you could upload it to the uploads section.

Thanks
audiomars
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

Reply #6
The modified mp3infp dll sounds like a good idea. I would be grateful if you could upload it to the uploads section.

Thanks
audiomars

Posted to the Uploads section [a href='index.php?showtopic=45770']here.[/a]  If it doesn't work for you or you have any problems, let me know.  (The modified .dll will show version 2.52f2)