Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUE sheets and MP3 (Read 6525 times) previous topic - next topic

CUE sheets and MP3

Hello,

I think it has been discussed before, but I can not find it. Is it possible to embed CUE sheet into MP3? If yes, which program should I use to do it? How can I play back the file then, which players support it?

Also if I decide to split my MP3 album into single files, how is it with gapeless playback then? If I encode directly from separate WAVs, is there a "gapeless" LAME switch? I think it is there and it is on by default, but I'm not sure.

And if I have an MP3 file which I cut let's say in mp3DirectCut, would it be possible to play these tracks without gapes?

And what about OGG Vorbis? I heard it supports gapeless playback natively....

Sorry for so many questions. I believe it was probably answered before, but I just coudn't find it.

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #1
...is there a "gapeless" LAME switch? I think it is there and it is on by default...
Yes, by default LAME stores "gap" info in it's header (values named enc_delay and enc_padding). But to get gapless playback you must use a player that actually takes advantage of this (like foobar2000, or players that can use the in_mpg123 decoder dll).

And if I have an MP3 file which I cut let's say in mp3DirectCut, would it be possible to play these tracks without gaps?
I'm not aware of any mp3 edit software that will create LAME headers with proper gapless info for splitted files.

And what about OGG Vorbis? I heard it supports gapeless playback natively...
Yes. http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Gapless

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #2
I'm not aware of any mp3 edit software that will create LAME headers with proper gapless info for splitted files.

There is. But development is currently halted.

Seb

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #3
There is.

Works like a treat. For my rockboxed iriver H120 this is the best tool i've tried, simply because it has gapless support. Sadly it doesn't support rejoining... yet.

For native gapless i would also say Vorbis... if your DAP supports it.

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #5
Winamp 5.2+ supports gapless with MP3s created with LAME now, apparently.

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #7
Thank you all for your usefull replies. So embedding a CUE sheet in MP3 doesen't seem to be good idea. Matroska container seems to be a much better solution.

I have one more question for you. Let's say I want to create a DVD soundtrack. For playing on computer I would just mux AC3 with chapters in Matroska container (MKA). But for a portable player I need to convert it to MP3 or Vorbis. What would you suggest? Convert to WAV, cut and compress to Ogg Vorbis or compress directly to Vorbis and then cut (I think musiCutter can do it)?

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #9
Unfortunately there are not many PocketPCs with >=30GB harddrive. Currently I have an iRiver MP3/Vorbis discman, but I'm thinkig about buying a Cowon A2 (or similar player). An interesting option would be also iPod with Rockbox. But I'm waiting for the prices to drop a bit, currently for the Cowon A2 I would pay almost my whole month's salary :-(

Btw. have you ever talked to Rockbox developers about Matroska support?

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #10

There is. But development is currently halted.

Seb

I use it religously, and even with it's shortcomings (no V2 ID3 tags) it's simply superb. 

I just discovered this progam. It splits WAVs, MP3s and FLAC files according to CUE sheets. It has a very nice and simple GUI. It seems to support VBR correctly and also gapeless playback. I tried to split a VBR song into 3 pieces. The duration of the pieces was correct and when I tried to play them in fb2k, I haven't noticed any gaps.

What do you think about this software? Btw. have I mentioned it is GNU/GPL?

Ond now one more question: is there a program, that can creat one MP3 and CUE sheet from more MP3s? I know MKVToolnix probably can, but it is quite complicated (too many steps).

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #11
It seems to support VBR correctly and also gapeless playback.
It doesn't support gapless. But if you don't hear gapes, then it's good for you.

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #12
pcutmp3 supports gapless

CUE sheets and MP3

Reply #13
But for a portable player I need to convert it to MP3 or Vorbis. What would you suggest?

Why ? Use any PocketPC with TCPMP and continue using matroska  ...

I have one question, I know I should better ask MOSU but maybe you know it too. When I convert an MP3 album (each MP3 file is one song), can I set somewhere in mmg to automaticaly create chapters according to the files? Currently I create an album CUE sheet in foobar2000 from the MP3s I want to merge and then I paste it in mmg. Also I have to open the merging files one by one in mmg. Is there an easier way?

Thank you.

pcutmp3 supports gapless

I know. It's been said before. But unfortunately there is no GUI AFAIK. I try to avoid using command line, if I can.