Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there any plugin anywhere that can play MIDI through windows instea (Read 21461 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there any plugin anywhere that can play MIDI through windows instea

Reply #25
MIDI represents a form of music.  It requires "interpretation", but, if you want to get so technical, so does MP3, FLAC, OGG, and practically everything else out there (PCM Wave even has a little interpretation involved, albiet very little.)

That's right, but every audio format foobar2000 plays offers a standard decoding method which produces the same PCM audio data on every system, given a correct decoder, of course. MIDI has no such standard, as what (and if) sound comes out of the speakers heavily depends on the device the data is sent to.

The reason for me getting so technical is simply that the technical specifications are the reason foobar2000 doesn't play MIDI files - unless they are really played by foobar2000. foo_midi is a way to get PCM data into foobar's pipeline, DirectX isn't.
Nothing is impossible if you don't need to do it yourself.

Reply #26
I hope I'm not off-topic since the discussion is long, verbose and I am very tired but...
I just want to get all my audio playing in one program.

The same goal led me to use the Wrapper for Winamp plugin in order to load Nullsoft MIDI player (in_midi.dll) from WinAmp 2.95. With some tweakings (I had to enable the 'sampling' in in_midi configuration), it works like a charm: I can hear all my MIDI file through my SB PCI synthesizer. Only drawback: I have to change the MIDI volume separately (no foobar volume control). I don't know if alternate versions of Winamp's in_midi.dll can handle SoundFonts.
And, oh... I use 0.8.3.

Reply #27
I hope I'm not off-topic since the discussion is long, verbose and I am very tired but...
I just want to get all my audio playing in one program.

The same goal led me to use the Wrapper for Winamp plugin in order to load Nullsoft MIDI player (in_midi.dll) from WinAmp 2.95. With some tweakings (I had to enable the 'sampling' in in_midi configuration), it works like a charm: I can hear all my MIDI file through my SB PCI synthesizer. Only drawback: I have to change the MIDI volume separately (no foobar volume control). I don't know if alternate versions of Winamp's in_midi.dll can handle SoundFonts.
And, oh... I use 0.8.3.

Are you saying you tweaked the Winamp midi dll to work with Foobar using the midi instruments from the soundcard? If so, that is awesome. Even better would be if you could make it work for v0.9 since a lot of people don't use 0.8.x anymore.

Reply #28
Are you saying you tweaked the Winamp midi dll to work with Foobar using the midi instruments from the soundcard?

I knew that this wrapper could be used to play .ram, using in_tara.dll from Winamp. I did the same for in_midi.dll. The only thing is that I had to modify only one parameter in its config dialog...
I think this parameter (enable SAMPLING) has something to do with the fact that Foobar uses PCM (?)... but I'm just guessing since I'm not at all a dev. Anyway, the MIDI notes are sent to the MIDI synth directly.

I don't use 0.9 yet and didn't test it (I wait some times that all the plugins I use are available for this version).

Reply #29
Hmm.  This actually sounds like a pretty decent solution.  And I know what option you're talking about.  Winamp has the option to sample the MIDI so it can show you the visualizers and such on it.  This option would indeed give Foobar an audio input to satisfy it's silly requirement that everything absolutely must have a PCM input (come on, what about stuff like analog line-in?  Ok, not horribly needed in Foobar, but, you must admit that such a limitation can indeed end up being a problem for some things.)  Anyway, that's the option you are enabling.  It may not be available or fully working on some soundcards though.  I think capturing from analog out/stereo mix/"what u hear" (god what a stupid name *gives creative a swift kick for that one*) or whatever else the various soundcards call the mix capture line can cause a problem though.  Seems it could cause a feedback loop to me.  I'm not quite sure if that would be a problem or not (depends on how it handles it) but, be careful (turn the speakers way down on the first test and be prepared to alt+f4 in a hurry if need be.)  I doubt it's really such a big deal, but, I'm just saying be careful, just in case.

So there's no way this wrapper is available for version 9?  Can you point those of us who don't know to the wrapper so we can keep an eye on it for when it does become available?  Sometimes I wonder if I should go ahead and go to all the trouble to get 0.8 working the way I want it, but, really I just don't want to deal with it when 0.9 all except for this one thing perfectly suits my needs.

Reply #30
[deleted]

Reply #31
The wrapper is not available for 0.9. 

The 0.8 release has a few known issues (like known issues with the [unsupported] 0.8 release of foobar2000), but the author has posted that he is updating it.

Posted where?  I had pretty well understood that it is unavailable to 0.9, but, I wanted to find a homepage or something so I could keep an eye out.  This actually has quite a few advantages beyond just getting MIDI to work right.

Reply #32
Yeah, like USF and GSF support...

Reply #33

The 0.8 release has a few known issues (like known issues with the [unsupported] 0.8 release of foobar2000), but the author has posted that he is updating it.

Posted where?  I had pretty well understood that it is unavailable to 0.9, but, I wanted to find a homepage or something so I could keep an eye out.  This actually has quite a few advantages beyond just getting MIDI to work right.

Read the latest news at the author's website.. http://www.r1ch.net/

Reply #34

Read the latest news at the author's website.. http://www.r1ch.net/

Thank you very much.  Especially in light of the fact that the first thing I see when I pull up that page is that the 0.9 version is in beta testing right now and the beta version can be downloaded.

I can't get around to properly testing the beta until tonight, but, from what I see in there, it looks like the only real problems associated with this beta arise from completely different situations than I'll be seeing.

Reply #35
FYI i think it's likely that this is the most convoluted thread in the history of the Internet. I mean, i don't even understand half the specifics you guys are talking about, but it is clear that this whole exchange could probably have been summed up in like a dozen single-paragraph posts instead of thirty miniature Pitchfork-esque novels....

(i have a daily smart-ass quota to fill, don't get mad)
~

Reply #36
Technical vocabulary ahoy. This must be one of the most intellectually saturated threads I've read. ^^

Re: Is there any plugin anywhere that can play MIDI through windows instea

Reply #37
Salutations

Is there a way I can get that Winamp MIDI player for foobar ? Since I've been desperately trying to outright retire crummy Winamp

How can I point it to my device then ? Instead of sifting through hit+miss soundfonts

Reply #38
Nope, you'll have to use Winamp. Or you'll have to use a better MIDI player, like Tom's MIDI Player, TMIDI. It may not support all of the formats, but it does that legacy stuff of playing through actual physical devices that haven't yet been replaced with fully software plugins.

Reply #39
Wow cheers very much ! TMIDI is magnificent and it doesn't dumb down volume in mixer every fricking time unlike Winamp !

EDIT: Welp it won't play .mus .. minor gripe