Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: taking my music with me (Read 5592 times) previous topic - next topic

taking my music with me

Hi!

I've just got a nokia N80 phone, which takes 2GB mini-SD cards.

I'd quite like to put my entire music collection on there but the problem is, my collection is pretty large and is in a variety of formats that the phone player won't support.

My plan is to install an OGG player on there (is ogg the best format for this purpose?) and convert my collection to oggs for use on the phone.

At the moment, I've got Flacs albums with cue sheets, flacs, apes, mp3s, wmas (not many), and possibly a few other formats.

Any ideas to what quality would be suitable for my purposes (I'd rather it fit and sound ok than not fit and sound amazing)?  is q2 ok?

Also, anyone know any programs/scripts that would do this all for me?  -from what I've read in these forums, my best course might be to use Foobar to split the albums and then use Ogg Drop to convert the files.  Is this right?

BTW, I'm not bothered too much by the loss of quality from transcoding lossy formats (as I will have the original on my computer).  I'm just doing this for portability and don't plan on sharing these files.

taking my music with me

Reply #1
Could you give us a hint about the size of your collection, in hours ?
A good start would be to encode some of your favourite songs to Ogg Vorbis aoTuV with settings -q 0 upto -q 3 and take the time to listen. Choose the lowest bitrate that sounds acceptable to you.
Using -q 0 (~64 kbps) you will be able to store 69 hours on 2 GB, using -q 3 (~112 kbps) it will be around 39 hours. Of course you can also choose an intermediate quality setting, for instance -q 1.5

taking my music with me

Reply #2
I used to use q3 for my old 6680 with OggPlay. I had the stereo jack adaptor too so I could use my E3C's

taking my music with me

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies!

Hmm... just selected all my music in Foobar and got this:

2wk 1d 16:35

46 327 490 822 bytes

Avg bitrate 339kbps

so I'm not really going to be able to fit that on a 2GB card am I?

Good idea about converting a few to Ogg and then seeing which setting is acceptable.  The N80's not really the best quality but I suppose that could be because I'm using the standard earphones at the moment.

What OGG setting would be the equivalent of a 128vbr mp3 and if that mp3 were a 4mb song, how big would the ogg be?

taking my music with me

Reply #4
Uh, again, you ought to ABX... or at least experiment to find out the most acceptable setting. Everyone's preference is different. What's perfectly acceptable to me may not anywhere near acceptable to others. And v.v.

My personal experience is to go with -q 1 (~80 kbps) or -q 2 (~96 kbps) for a quality at least as good as 128 vbr MP3, if encoded from original or lossless source. Thus, a 128 kbps 4 MiB MP3 song will be reduced to ~4 x (80/128) MiB and ~4 x (96/128) MiB respectively.

Experiment with fractions, if you want, e.g. 1.1, 1.5, etc.

And I think foobar can directly cut-and-encode your long MP3's into Ogg Vorbis files. First time use it will ask for oggenc.exe, point it to the latest oggenc.exe release (I strongly recommend Lancer 20060616).

However if you want to experiment on each and every track (not recommended, but then again...), you'd better convert them into wav's, to make encoding into various -q values simpler.

I've never used OggPlay... do they support ReplayGain? If they don't, make sure to convert your tracks with ReplayGain applied. Use album RG for the long CUE-split MP3, track RG for singles MP3.

Peace!

taking my music with me

Reply #5
My plan is to install an OGG player on there (is ogg the best format for this purpose?) and convert my collection to oggs for use on the phone.

You are a lucky man! Nokia N80 supports HE-ACC and HE-AAC v2 (eAAC+). You don't even have to install anyting. HE-AAC v2 gives you files from 20 - 48 kbps. Try it in your phone. On my SGH-X700 20 kbps sounds quite alright... but mono 

The phone itself givs very good sound but original headphones sound awfull.  With good headphones it sounds awesome! 

I use MediaCoder to transcode for mobile. Transcoded all my music to LC-AAC ~105 kbps

With 20 kbps your collection should take 2,5 Gb   

taking my music with me

Reply #6
Hmm, I've just checked the OggPlay website and it seems that that doesn't support the Symbian S60 3rd edition opperating system yet....

I supposed that means I have to use HE-AAC v2 then.  I'm not too sure how you (waterfall) listen to it at 20kbs though!  It sounds terrible!!!

-anyone know any ogg portable players that will run on Symbian S60, and if notl;

-does anyone know what bitrate I should set the transcoder to for HE-AAC v2 output for a comparable sound to 128kbps MP3s and 320kbps MP3s?

taking my music with me

Reply #7
It supports regular AAC too. 64 kbps sounds pretty ok but I'd rather use something in the range of 80 to 90 kbps with Nero's encoder. That would be HE AAC (v1).

taking my music with me

Reply #8
It supports regular AAC too. 64 kbps sounds pretty ok but I'd rather use something in the range of 80 to 90 kbps with Nero's encoder. That would be HE AAC (v1).

Yep, I second Latexxx's suggestion. 64kbps HE-AAC v2 should be quite good, though 48kbps HE-AAC v2 is alright if you are willing to trade off a little more of quality. Anything less would severely degrade quality.

Best thing is to try it yourself. See howw much artifacts you can discern in an average environment where you would be using the phone. My guess is that there will be quite a bit of noise around you, which might just be alright for using HE-AAC v2 at 64kbps or even at 48kbps.

audiomars
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

taking my music with me

Reply #9
N80 is a smartphone. As far as I know TCPMP runs on smartphone and it plays ALL formats - audio and video. It is just an idea  I myself never tried but my friend uses TCPMP on Moto 200/220 smartphone.

TCPMP

taking my music with me

Reply #10
N80 is a smartphone. As far as I know TCPMP runs on smartphone and it plays ALL formats - audio and video. It is just an idea  I myself never tried but my friend uses TCPMP on Moto 200/220 smartphone.

TCPMP

TCPMP only supports Palm and Windows Mobile, not Symbian S60 which is used in Nokia's products.