Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem M-audio revolution 7.1 (Read 5659 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem M-audio revolution 7.1

Hi I have a problem with my Revo 7.1 every so often while playing music or watching a film the soundcard makes a hissing sound and the speech or music goes very slowly like slow motion speaking.

I turn off the speakers and then turn on 5 mins later everything ok again for a while then the same thing.

Im running asus p4c800-e deluxe and Im using OCZ 600watt powerstream 3.4 northwood cpu.
Ive also put the card in a pci slot that isnt shared with another one.

Help please.

Reply #1
I have exactly the same problem with my Revo 5.1. When I watch films or other divx files the sound eventually goes in slow motion and hisses and pops. I have to turn the computer off and wait for 5 mins before it fixes itself. I wondered if it was a heat problem?

If you find the answer (or anyone for that matter!) then please let me know.

Thanks.

Reply #2
are you using the latest drivers? either from the manufacturer or from Via? are your systems overlocked?
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #3
are you using the latest drivers? either from the manufacturer or from Via? are your systems overlocked?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361060"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am using the latest M-Audio drivers for the card - it generally seems okay, but after watching films for quite a long time it starts to happen.

The only thing overclocked in my PC is the gfx card (but only by a small amount).

Someone in head-fi suggested it could be an overheating problem?

Reply #4
overheating generally can lead to overall system instability in my experience (i.e. crashing or even corruption).
I don't have a solution for your problem, but it's well worth a try to
a) test the latest VIA drivers
b) run Prime95 for a few hours to test system stability.
c) monitor system temperature to see if you run into heat problems.

Reply #5
overheating generally can lead to overall system instability in my experience (i.e. crashing or even corruption).
I don't have a solution for your problem, but it's well worth a try to
a) test the latest VIA drivers
b) run Prime95 for a few hours to test system stability.
c) monitor system temperature to see if you run into heat problems.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361475"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do the via drivers actually work with the revo cards?

Reply #6
TTBOMK yes

Reply #7
Tested the VIA Vinyl Envy24 controllers: MT/DT/GT/PT/HT-S drivers on my Revo 7.1. Windows driver setup doesn't  recognize them as valid. Any other Via drivers you were thinking of Digga?

Reply #8
Tested the VIA Vinyl Envy24 controllers: MT/DT/GT/PT/HT-S drivers on my Revo 7.1. Windows driver setup doesn't  recognize them as valid.
what do you mean?
- do they install but Windows prompts up with 'these drivers didn't pass whql...'
- do the install but are not usable?
- do they not install at all?
- you are not running an OS higher than 2003 by any chance, are you?

Any other Via drivers you were thinking of Digga?
no, they should be fine and work with any Envy24 based card...

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit: spelling[/span]

Reply #9
I have Windows XP with sp2. I tried to install the Via drivers manually by going to Device Manager and then right clicking Multimedia Audio Controller to update the driver. This brings up the hardware update wizard. After you set the source destination directory to "\WIN2K"  containing the "Envy24 Family Audio Controller" installation file, Envy24HF.INF it should install. It doesn't.  It says "Cannot install this Hardware, The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software". Which I took to mean it wasn't a valid driver.
    Automatic installation by using the provided setup.exe doesn't help either, on restart the wizard pops up and can't find the approximate software.
    On reflection I don't think this is surprising as the driver is clearly named "VIA Vinyl Envy24 controllers: MT/DT/GT/PT/HT-S",  and the Revo 7.1 is based on the  Envy24HT chip with no "S".
I've checked the VIA site and it seems to contain no drivers for cards with the Envy24HT chip with no "S".
As I said which driver were you thinking of Digga?

Edit Spelling

Reply #10
Hi Guys,

I've 2 PC installed M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (1.0.28), both of them have NO hissing sound, both of them was AMD, one is Athlon64 DualCore, another is AthlonXP.

There're tricks installing the 1.0.28 driver, it keep asking you for some files, but not exist in the sf1028 package, try run sf1026, and copy those files in temp folder during install (run sf1026, find temp folder and copy, quit at last), finally the M-Audio control will show 1.0.26 but everything work, including ASIO.

Rgds,
Johnson Lam.
Hong Kong - International Joke Center (after 1997-06-30)

Reply #11
Hi Guys,

I've 2 PC installed M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (1.0.28), both of them have NO hissing sound, both of them was AMD, one is Athlon64 DualCore, another is AthlonXP.

There're tricks installing the 1.0.28 driver, it keep asking you for some files, but not exist in the sf1028 package, try run sf1026, and copy those files in temp folder during install (run sf1026, find temp folder and copy, quit at last), finally the M-Audio control will show 1.0.26 but everything work, including ASIO.

Rgds,
Johnson Lam.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362330"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its not the hissing i have problems with either its the general stability of my system when i've got the drivers installed it seems m-audio can't be arsed with Win64

Reply #12
I did give the via envy drivers a go but the sound playback was all scrambled and so I went back to the m-audio drivers.

Reply #13
leven, I am just wondering if you managed to resolve your problem in the end or not?

I have only now managed to find the solution. It was a very long-winded process but it boiled down to the fact that my PC mode was set to ACPI rather than ACPI Uniprocessor, which meant that it wasn't making use of APIC and resulted in a higher latency.

For a solution to the issue check out my posts here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160786

cheers.