Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sound cards that don\'t resample to 48 kHz? (Read 3756 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound cards that don\'t resample to 48 kHz?

I have an SBLive Value, which resamples everything to 48 kHz.  I want to run into a DAC at 44.1 kHz, so are there any sound cards out there that:

1) Have S/PDIF digital out
2) Output 44.1 kHz audio digitally
3) Work with both Windows and Linux

Thanks.

-Craig

Reply #1
The cheapest one i know is the Winfast 6x, but i don´t know anything about Linux whith this card and where to get it.

Otherwise there are some cards like the M-Audio but for much more money...

Wombat
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #2
does anybod know a soundcard that works with digitial out under Linux? I got a Terratec 1024 DMXFire, it works excellent under windows (48khz resampling of course).
but i cant get it work under linux. i mean, the card itself works fine, but the S/pdif out is dead 
And the S/pdif is the only reason why i bought the card.
the d/a converters and amps in (cheaper) soundcards really suck.

Reply #3
The M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 does not resample its output nor its input, has bit-perfect SPDIF (but doesn't handle TTL level output of CDROMs), and great audio quality (up to 24 bit 96 KHz sampling). It has also built-in MIDI interface and cables. I think the Delta range of cards works under Linux too.

It's 150$ in www.midi-store.com.

Other similar cards:

Terratec EWX 2496: has also optical SPDIF (not coaxial though at the main outputs, but I believe it does handle SPDIF TTL levels at an internal connector). I think it's not very common in the U.S., only in Europe.

Hoontech DSP24 Value: the cheapest of all, only about 120$ but it doesn't have "out of the box" SPDIF, however with an extra adaptor (50$) you can get optical and coaxial SPDIF inputs and outputs and MIDI. This card, besides its 24/96 codecs, it has also an AC'97 (16/48) codec chip for compatibility purposes, similar to the ones found in SoundBlasters. This card is said to be less stable than others and to have the lesser (analog) audio quality of these, but who knows.

Echo Mia: similar to the Audiophile (same codecs), but has balanced inputs and outputs (better quality when used with other balanced equipment), and no MIDI.

Marian Marc 2: I think it's similar to those, but don't know much about it.

Reply #4
@KikeG

Thanks Mate for this excellent overview .... looking for a new soundcard desperately ...