Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Easy CD-DA burning - to convert into WAV first or burn FLAC directly? (Read 11483 times) previous topic - next topic

Easy CD-DA burning - to convert into WAV first or burn FLAC directly?

I'm using Easy CD-DA Extractor for urning audio CD-s. Mostly I have FLAC as source files. Now the question is: can I burn the FLAC or APE files directly to Audio CD or should I convert them to WAV first? Is it still lossless after FLAC to Audio CD?

Reply #1
Yes it will still be loseless after you burn it to an audio cd, if you use the proper write offset.

Reply #2
... or should I convert them to WAV first?

yes. standard CDDA is wave. If you dont convert them you will be able to play it only on players supporting flac/ape and there are not many I believe.

Reply #3
If you are burning Audio CD's (not data CD's), and your program can handle FLAC's, the file(s) will automatically be decompressed to standard PCM when it is burned to the CD.  This is required to make a red book standard Audio CD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc

Reply #4
I'm sorry. Let me put the question around. I got two options:

1. to convert to .wav and then burn the wav files to audio CD
2. to burn audio CDdirectly from .flac, skipping the option 1

Is the outcome the same (in a sense of lossless)?

Also somebody mentioned 'proper write offset'. What's this?

Reply #5
The outcome will be the same if the program can decode FLAC.

Reply #6
I'm sorry. Let me put the question around. I got two options:

1. to convert to .wav and then burn the wav files to audio CD
2. to burn audio CDdirectly from .flac, skipping the option 1

Is the outcome the same (in a sense of lossless)?

Also somebody mentioned 'proper write offset'. What's this?

A description of WAV:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wav

WAV is a container format, most commonly holding PCM audio data.  CD's contain PCM audio data.  Your burning program has to decode FLAC files to PCM to burn them to CD.  For that matter, FLAC's have to be decoded to PCM to be heard as well.

So either way you approach the problem, the audio that ends up on the CD is still PCM.  Burn straight from FLAC if your program allows this, it will be easier on you and makes no difference to the end result.

As for the Write Offset, this article explains things nice and visually.  If you cannot set this in your program, it will be a moot point anyways.
http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eacoffsets00.htm#-

P.S. I have no experience with Easy CD-DA Extractor, if you can't tell.