Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Will you switch from Winamp2 to Winamp3 now that it\'s final? (Read 60914 times) previous topic - next topic

Will you switch from Winamp2 to Winamp3 now that it\'s final?

Reply #75
I feel like I'm the only one here liking wA3 , when I did my last fresh install I decided to not install WA2 and give 3 a try.
Well I haven't regretted it. Ok it loads a bit longer but hey you only start a program once don't you?
Mysteriously enough I happen to find my way around WA3 with quite ease.
The only bad thing it has is that the mpcplugin cannot edit tags , this is a fault of WA3 if I understood correctly.  Let's hope they fix it soon so this little trouble is also gone.
WA3 also runs even stabler over here! Sometimes when I played mpcfiles with WA2 the playback would stop for no reason at all only to begin again after I hit stop and play again, I haven't had this behavior at all with WA3.

Reply #76
you see, winamp is intended to play music

It plays music? I thought it was just intended to install AOL icons...

Reply #77
Maybe I'm missing something but I liked in winamp2 how one could see the total time of the playlist @ the bottom of the playlist editor.  Can we still do this- I can't figure out for the life of me how to do this in winamp3.  Any suggestions ?

-Jeff

Reply #78
from winamp3 faq:

Does Winamp3 sound better than Winamp 2.x?

To be honest, nothing has been proven. So, we're not sure...yet. Thankfully, it definitely doesn't sound worse.  

1. is there a reason to use wa3 soundquality wise?
2. is there a tool to make skining easier? (i dont feel like coding)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #79
layer3maniac: 3.0b actually doesn't install that AOL on Desktop crap anymore.  Still not bad that AOL is only making them do that.

frozenspeed: Next release.  (Or try 491 if you are daring).

smok3:
1) Same decoders, same outputs, same EQ backend.  it *should* be exactly the same.  Any variation could be due to different output settings (waveOut vs DirectSound and Sound Card driver crap)

2) There have been a few, but nothing really that developed.  There are some stuff in the stickies in the Winamp3 Skinning and Scripting forum

Reply #80
I have the new 2.81, and I love it.
I tried Winamp 3, but quite simply hated it. Too many options, too many things it doesn't need to do.
I had 2.78 before this, but it didn't like XP... so I went from that to one of the 1.X Winamps for a bit. An antique, but interesting to say the lest! Geez we are pampered with all these other versions! lol

Reply #81
Still using 2.81 Winamp, it's fast and it's all you need 
I tried Wa3 and it is really slow, buggy, and this new skining arch doesn't impress me 2 much. 
Winamp 2.x for life! 

Reply #82
I may try out WA3 again when they add ID3v2 tag editing to it...until then, i'm going to use WA2.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #83
Another reason for using Winamp 2.81 
one word : "Milkdrop" 

Reply #84
Milkdrop does rock  Did some serious impressing of my friends at my last party ("what is that?" "where can I get that" "that is even cooler than the 3d0 colour game!")

Reply #85
2.81 all the way.
Winamp 3 may need another year to become bug free

Reply #86
Comments welcome.

Winamp is shit, my Creative MediaSource is much better
My sound hardware: Creative's Audigy 2 ;)
My music encodings: Nero AAC Codec 2.6.2.0 Profiles:Transparent,Extreme

Reply #87
No, thanks.
I'm a Winamp 2.X skinner and I like the way it works.
Other limitations for me:
Fat, heavy, unstable, no golabal hotkey plugin I like, hard to skin (well, I'm sure I could learn skinning it, but what for?).
Many famous Winamp 2.x skinners won't turn to WA3 too, so don't expect lots of nice interfaces.
I'm sure, Nullsoft won' be able to make a stable and fast release for at least one year (Winamp 2.X is still buggy a bit, some previous versions were almost impossible to use, as there were too many bugs)..
So, don't use this stuff... At least now

Reply #88
Probably not.

WA 2.xx works good enough for me since I'm just using it to listen to mp3's.

Reply #89
Will you switch from Winamp2 to Winamp3 now that it's final?

no, but as soon as fb2k plays SHNs, I will likely abandon wa2.xx for good...

Reply #90
 No Way

Reply #91
Winamp 2.81 for me still. I don't always like saying it, but in this case, the old saying "If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it." is definitely true.

Reply #92
After I last reformatted and reinstalled WinMe, I've not bothered with WinAmp 3. I still like CoolPlayer for the most common types of listening I do.  Honestly, foobar2000 seems one of the best reasons I've yet encountered for moving from the 98 kernel to Win2k (WinXP? -- NOT!).

Reply #93
I'm still sticking to Winamp 2.xx, Winamp 3 is too slow on my old computer, and using Win98 doesn't help much.  Foobar2k is incredible, I use it, but there's something I use, like a firewall that causes it to malfunction.  Winamp 2.xx is the most stable, and best sounding player ive come in contact with!

Reply #94
never in an eternity!
Foobar does all I'd ever like and is better in most aspects aswell.

Reply #95
No. using WinAmp2 60% / fb2k 40% right now. I'll completely switch to fb2k very soon.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #96
Winamp3 - NO WAY... foobar2000 and Winamp2, soon I will switch to foobar2000 only soon (still need WA2 for some things). I just hope that zZzZzZz is working on new version, and that's why he hasn't updated anything for such a long time, and that he hasn't abandoned it for public and started developing for himself.

Reply #97
.....and that's why he hasn't updated anything for such a long time, and that he hasn't abandoned it for public and started developing for himself.

How often do you want releases???!
Do you know another program that is updated as often?
And yes: Peter is working on foobar as he always is.

Reply #98
.....and that's why he hasn't updated anything for such a long time, and that he hasn't abandoned it for public and started developing for himself.

How often do you want releases???!
Do you know another program that is updated as often?
And yes: Peter is working on foobar as he always is.

Well, I am completely OK with anything, but I got kind of used to the frequent updates  I am glad that he still works on it.
And, no, I don't know anyone who updates it so frequent.

Reply #99
I've switched to foobar2000 because org winamp SSRC's author, Peter, is now building foobar2000.