Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Batch Flac tag editing (Read 3776 times) previous topic - next topic

Batch Flac tag editing

I am trying to rename the tags in my FLAC and WMA files to shorten the length of them. So I'd like to change all occurrences of "String Quartet" to "SQ". Is there an easy way to do this for 1000s of files, preferably free?!

Batch Flac tag editing

Reply #1
I use catwalk for things like that.

Batch Flac tag editing

Reply #2
Cartman_Sr,

I think you are wrong. The guy wants to change value in a key value pair. He did not mentioned the key. Your script does not use the key. You use the value incorrectly.

BTW

This is where scripting knowledge is invaluable. I always knock up a perl or shell script for tasks like this. I can because I always use shell and command line to alter my tags. You learn it and you will be able to solve things faster than searching for some graphical stuff.

Triza

I use catwalk for things like that. You just write a short script as an .ini file, telling it what to do. Something like:

Code: [Select]
[*.flac]
metaflac.exe --remove-tag="String Quartet" "@file@"
metaflac.exe --add-tag=SQ "@file@"

Batch Flac tag editing

Reply #3
Sorry, but I don't think either of these work (not sure what you mean by "key value pair").

What I want is to replace "* String Quartet" with "* SQ" so that "Beethoven String Quartet" becomes "Beethoven SQ" and "Schubert String Quartet" becomes "Schubert SQ".

Any ideas?

Batch Flac tag editing

Reply #4
foobar's Masstagger.

You could use it to replace any instance of "String Quartet" with "SQ", e.g.:

Format "TITLE" using "$replace(%title%,String Quartet,SQ)"

Simlilarly MP3Tag.

Both are free.
I'm on a horse.

Batch Flac tag editing

Reply #5
Mp3tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
  • Convert
  • Actions
  • New configuration, e.g., Abbreviate
  • New configuration (again), then: Replace
  • Choose Field, then define the strings (you can repeat this, and have multiple items within an Action)
Now, add the directories you want, select the files, go again to Convert, Actions, tick the Action you want, untick the rest, and press OK.

I use the latest beta version of Mp3tag: http://developer.mp3tag.de/

PS: Just saw Synthetic Soul's reply.

Batch Flac tag editing

Reply #6
These are EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you very much - has saved a lot of typing!!!!