Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New installation of MediaCoder on Win95 will not run (Read 3293 times) previous topic - next topic

New installation of MediaCoder on Win95 will not run

(Sorry, I think I have put this in the wrong forum. I can't see a way to delete or move it.)

Hi, Yes, unbelievably I am still running Win95. It is a long story.

I just installed MediaCoder 0.3.7 (20060416).  The installation process went fine; no indications of any problems.  There was no virus software running at the time, nor in my testing process to try to figure out what is going on. I installed to a non-stanard folder "Programs" instead of "Program Files", but otherwise it was a standard, full install.

The problem is: Upon starting up the program it immediately puts out two Windows altert boxes:

1) Error Starting Program
    The MEDIAINFO.DLL file is
    linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:IsDebuggerPresent.

2) C:\Programs\MediaCoder\mediacoder.exe
    A device attatched to the system is not functioning.

I have never before seen such an error or had such a problem with a program starting, going all the way back to when Win95 was a new program.   

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply #1
Let me be the first to say: the problem could very likely be the fact that you're using Windows 95. Very few programs support Windows 95 anymore, even 98, and the few that do are likely to drop support soon, like foobar2000 did.

My only advice is to check the requirements for the program. It may very well require Windows 98 or 2000.

Reply #2
My only advice is to check the requirements for the program. It may very well require Windows 98 or 2000.

Thanks, but it clearly states that it supports Win95.  That is why I attempted it.

Reply #3
Get XP
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #4
Thanks, but it clearly states that it supports Win95.  That is why I attempted it.
Windows 95 compatibility is listed for most software because the authors don't have any reason to believe it won't run, and that they don't think anybody will find out. Microsoft are very good about not making changes to the API without documenting them well, but that doesn't escape the fact the Windows 95 is an 11 year old operating system. Things have changed a huge amount since then, including the Win32 API.

If you are only running 95 because your hardware wouldn't handle something else, then you are probably stuck without this software, unless you upgrade. If you are running Windows 95 and have hardware that could run 2000 or XP, then I have to question your sanity.

Reply #5
I would also strongly recommend XP. If you are stuck with slower hardware at least get 98SE.
Windows ME stunk to high heaven. Avoid it like the plague.