Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Led Zeppelin III defect? (Read 3529 times) previous topic - next topic

Led Zeppelin III defect?

Hi all,

I was recently ripping my CD collection (using iTunes, as it happens) and during playback noticed a fault with the track "That's The Way" off Led Zeppelin III. At first I thought it was an encoding artifact, then I realised that the problem was on my CD, so I thought perhaps it was a scratch. I went online and, er, downloaded a few versions of the track and they all seemed to have the same problem - odd that I'd never noticed it before.

Basically about 18 seconds in, on the "P" of "I can't play with you no more" I hear a horrible digital sounding artifact.

All I'm asking for is a sanity check. Does anyone else hear this problem? Is there somewhere i can get a version of the track that is perfect?

cheers,

ali

Led Zeppelin III defect?

Reply #1
Both my unremasterd and remastered versions have that artefact, so it's probably from the source tapes.

Led Zeppelin III defect?

Reply #2
aw, so sad...

such a great song too. Anyone know whether it was on the vinyl also?

Led Zeppelin III defect?

Reply #3
Yes, it sounds the same on vinyl too. I've always assumed that the noise comes from Plant's breath against the microphone. It doesn't sound like an artifact/glitch to me. Not even annoying, IMHO... just something that is part of the raw character/charm of this old'ish recording

Led Zeppelin III defect?

Reply #4
I've got two different vinyl copies and a CD copy - all of them have it, and I agree w/Cosmo.
voted 'Most likely to veer your thread' three straight years!

Led Zeppelin III defect?

Reply #5
Yes, it sounds the same on vinyl too. I've always assumed that the noise comes from Plant's breath against the microphone. It doesn't sound like an artifact/glitch to me. Not even annoying, IMHO... just something that is part of the raw character/charm of this old'ish recording

I agree. The album was recorded in a rough way, in a remote house in Wales, its distinctive feel is due to the atmosphere of the house and of the sessions. If they had recorded it in a studio, then it would have been completely different.

Same with Four Sticks: people hear clciking sounds, mistaken for bad recording or noise. It is in fact John Boham playing with four drum sticks. A unique sound that carries with the unique 'noise'.