Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: player with fast library (Read 3369 times) previous topic - next topic

player with fast library

Hi!

Lately I've been more disturbed by Winamp 5.x taking very long to load the media library and searches taking too long. I've got about 20,000 files, mostly MP3 and vorbis.

Is there a software audio player with a faster library with playcount (so i can have a ranking of my favourites).

thanks in advance!

best regards

edit: typo
I love the moderators.

player with fast library

Reply #1
Hi!

Lately I've been more disturbed by Winamp 5.x taking very long to load the media library and searches taking too long. I've got about 20,000 files, mostly MP3 and vorbis.

Is there a software audio player with a faster library with playcount (so i can have a ranking of my favourites).

thanks in advance!

best regards

edit: typo
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=372950"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well i've got about the same number of files myself (though mine is mostly MP3 with traces of WMA). I use Foobar, which does the job quite admirably. Foobar with the Album List plugin, the playlist find plugin, the album art plugin, the track info plugin, and the last played plugin makes one helluva jukebox!

PS most of the plugins i mentioned are not (yet) available for 0.9 . Better stick with 0.8.3 until the plugins come out

You might also want to try out Media Monkey (mediamonkey.com) or Media Jukebox (jriver.com). These are the programs I used to use before i migrated to Foobar.

hope this helps

player with fast library

Reply #2
I recommand you MediaMonkey: http://www.mediamonkey.com

It's very easy to use, has a lot of feature, amazon tagging, cool scripts, supports winamp plugins, supports a lot of MP3-Players (also iPods), is increadible fast and free.

Of course there is also a playcount!

So try it out an become a Monkeys, too!
Big_Berny

player with fast library

Reply #4
I think Foobar would be most appropriate, because it can handle that many files without any problems.

Mediamonkey however is quite a resource-hog.

Another audio player that handles big playlists very well, and has some really useful features is dbpoweramp: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/.
It has a similar feature to rank your files, but doesn't use the playcount tag.

IMHO, foobar wins the battle because it's highly customizable and uses little CPU and memory compared to both other players. But then again, that depends on how many components and plugins you install.

player with fast library

Reply #5
Thanks for your answers!

I've been browsing around the web for the players mentioned. They all sound good, but I'm most impressed by the tons of plugins that are available for foobar2k. As my system isn't the fastest (in fact it's pretty slow) a 'resource-hog' like media monkey isn't the way for me. Javatunes is a little too puristic to me.

thanks again!
I love the moderators.

player with fast library

Reply #6
Well I really don't think that MediaMonkey is a ressource-hog, at least on my system, but do what you want...

player with fast library

Reply #7
Well, on my lousy system (amd duron, 256mb ram, ...), MediaMonkey is pretty slow and crashes when doing some operation on too many files. And compared to foobar it is slow.
It is however easier and more straightforward to use than foobar, which would be an advantage for less tech-savvy people.

player with fast library

Reply #8
Interesting because I only have an Thunderbird 1.2GHz and 256 MB Ram too!  And here it doesn't crash, at least the newest version. But you're right Foobar is faster. (Although MediaMonkey is also way faster than winamp...)

Big_Berny