Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XY instead of ABX (Read 5801 times) previous topic - next topic

XY instead of ABX

I am new to hydrogenaudio and also to blind testing, so I cannot find any references to tests where you must answer if tracks were same or not. IMHO, they would have advantages to ABX tests, because to some people it would be easier to remember one track to compare instead of two.

Forum engine doesn't allow to search for XY testing (min_keyword_length=3), so I couldn't find other discussions about this topic.

Any insights?

XY instead of ABX

Reply #1
Prothon: I'm not familiar with it, but your post reminds me of the term "ABA testing."

To the gurus: Is ABA testing what prothon is mentioning?

XY instead of ABX

Reply #2
You didn't mention how X and Y are chosen.
Are both chosen randomly for each trial?

XY instead of ABX

Reply #3
yes, both would be chosen randomly

XY instead of ABX

Reply #4
If you choose both randomly and independently with an equiprobable distribution, then you'll get these four cases:
- X=A, Y=A, X=Y  25% chance
- X=A, Y=B, X!=Y  25% chance
- X=B, Y=A, X!=Y  25% chance
- X=B, Y=B, X=Y  25% chance
So, with a probability of 50% X will be Y. Your choice may be right or wrong. You can calculate the p-value in the same manner as done in ABX testing which then indicates whether you were guessing or not.

I think it's only a matter of taste. Some may prefer to have the choice between 3 samples (one known to be the original, one known to be the altered one and one unknown).

S

XY instead of ABX

Reply #5
On difficult samples I like abx and abxy because its not hard to get 7/8 correct and not be sure of what your hearing. With abxy that 7/8 becomes less or I even become confused and quit. With easier samples I use xy and abx and can get 8/8 .

XY instead of ABX

Reply #6
I am new to hydrogenaudio and also to blind testing, so I cannot find any references to tests where you must answer if tracks were same or not. IMHO, they would have advantages to ABX tests, because to some people it would be easier to remember one track to compare instead of two.

We did one YX test in France : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29781210

I found it more difficult than ABX, because we can't help trying to identify what is X and what is Y before making the decision about their difference, while in ABX, we just have to identify X.