Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need a x-program lossless format. (Read 2966 times) previous topic - next topic

Need a x-program lossless format.

I am looking for a lossless format which will be cross prgram compatible between Media Center Edition (Windows Media Player), Foobar, and if possibly iTunes, though as far as I know only ALAC works acceptably within iTunes.  I have not yet found a format which will play and show tags in both Foobar and Windows Media Player. 

I guess the alternative is to not use MCE in the HTPC I am bulding, but I'd rather stick with MCE if possible.  Essentialy what I am wanting to do is be able to use foobar or iTunes to play the same files that my HTPC will be using.  It would be great if the ratings and such could be transfered back and forth as well. 

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Reply #1
This thread regarding FLAC and Ogg in MCE may be of use.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
To my knowledge, foobar will play windows lossless audio and this would give you compatibility with Windows Media Player and the Media Center app.  I am pretty sure that iTunes can convert windows lossless files to the mp3, mpeg-4 aac, wav, aiff, or Apple lossless formats.

I am sure there are plug-ins that you can download in order for the Media Center app (and windows media player) to play FLAC or ALAC files.  The main problem is that you want iTunes and Media Center compatibility.  Try searching for some plug-ins for Media Center.  I think there is a plug-in that will allow ALAC playback.  If so then you are set.

Reply #3
This thread regarding FLAC and Ogg in MCE may be of use.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371111"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To my knowledge, foobar will play windows lossless audio and this would give you compatibility with Windows Media Player and the Media Center app.  I am pretty sure that iTunes can convert windows lossless files to the mp3, mpeg-4 aac, wav, aiff, or Apple lossless formats.

I am sure there are plug-ins that you can download in order for the Media Center app (and windows media player) to play FLAC or ALAC files.  The main problem is that you want iTunes and Media Center compatibility.  Try searching for some plug-ins for Media Center.  I think there is a plug-in that will allow ALAC playback.  If so then you are set.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371112"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't absolutly need the lossless files to play in iTunes, but it woudl be nice.  The problem with playing flac or alac in WMP wasn't the decoding, it was the tags.  Thats solved by the above plugin, so looks like I'm set now.