Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3 seeking on 0.9 RC2 (Read 3890 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3 seeking on 0.9 RC2

From the FAQ in 0.8.3 :
The MP3 format doesn't natively support sample-accurate seeking, and sample accurate seeking is absolutely required by some other features of foobar2000 (such as .CUE playback). Therefore, MP3 seeking works by bruteforce-walking the MPEG stream chain (this gets faster when you pass through the same point of file for the second time because seektables have been built in the RAM). Unfortunately, seeking can't be optimized for CBR files (frame sizes aren't really constant because of padding used), or for VBR headers (both Xing and VBRI headers contain only approximated info and are useless for sample-exact seeking).

Now is seems (from my own tests) that mp3 seeking has dramatically improved in 0.9 RC. Just by curiosity, I'd like to know how it was achieved considering the above.

Mp3 seeking on 0.9 RC2

Reply #1
Nothing has changed regarding MP3 seeking ever since runtime caching was implemented, years ago. Which clearly has ruined your tests, along with windows file cache which has similar effect.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Mp3 seeking on 0.9 RC2

Reply #2
Now you are lying there Peter

I've noticed this too, when I'm seeking through my livesets which generally is about 1 hour or longer it can take up to 1 second or so with 0.8.3 for the music to start again when I jump forward like 20minutes or so. But with 0.9 the music starts instantly so something must've been done??

Mp3 seeking on 0.9 RC2

Reply #3
Obviously having seeked through the file in 0.8.3 caused Windows to cache the file, resulting in faster seek time when performing the same operation in 0.9 again. But how would a random forum user calling developers with several years of experience "liars" know that?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Mp3 seeking on 0.9 RC2

Reply #4
Notice my smiley, I wasn't completely serious

But I have tested with different files. First I play file X which is about 1hour long in 0.8.3 and try searching through it, it always takes some time, about a second for it to start playing the music after jumping forward a long time, like 20minutes. Then I played file Y which is also about 1 hour long and when I jump forward a long way then the music starts almost instantly.

So even if YOU haven't done anything special to speed up 0.9, it seemes to me that 0.9 is a bit faster! And even if you think that I'm stupid and think for yourself that its the same as 0.8.3, I'm satisfied because for me its faster.

And last but not least, ty Peter fb2k is the best audioplaying program ever made!