Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD Read Test Software (Read 1826 times) previous topic - next topic

CD Read Test Software

Hi everybody,

I downloaded a trial version of Plextools to try on my PX-230a. It's a neat program. I especially like the CD Read Test function, where it goes through the whole disc, rather quickly, and outputs a list of all the bad sectors and how many errors are in them. I like it because it's fast and seems to be accurate. I've been using it to judge whether or not to bother ripping certain cd's I have that have quite a few scratches or pinholes. But the trial version is running out and I don't feel like buying it. I wish EAC had a feature just like this. I've tried Burst Test & Copy on known bad cd's and had mixed results. Errors don't always show up as mismatched CRC's. And for testing, I don't want to wait around for ten years for EAC to go through the whole disc in Secure mode. So, does anyone know of an application that tests cd's, like Plextools has? Thanks in advance.

CD Read Test Software

Reply #1
This may be of use:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

I'm not sure that the results from these applications shoul stop you ripping in EAC.  Surely you should just rip to the best of the disc's ability, whether that is 100% perfect or not?

It also seems like you may do well to shell out for Plextools, if you have these concerns.  You could use it for testing CDs and ripping, or at least ripping for comparison to EAC.
I'm on a horse.