Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which Command To Use For Mp3-cd-player Files (Read 3097 times) previous topic - next topic

Which Command To Use For Mp3-cd-player Files

I have an MP3-CD-Player, so the priorities are

1. file size
2. quality
3. speed

Which command line do you recommend for this purpose ?

ABR should be ~ 140 - 150

Thx, Baddezzed

Reply #1
until Dibrom's new lower-bitrate VBR settings are a bit more tuned, you are probably best off using --alt preset 145 or something similar.  I use --alt preset 128 on my flash-based portable and the sound is pretty decent.

Reply #2
Which LAME release do u use ?

Reply #3
I recommend using --alt-preset standard -Y with LAME v3.92. With an average bit rate of about 160 Kbps, the sound quality of these files is terrific and you can probably fit over 150 of these MP3's on a single 700 MB disc.

Reply #4
I use a p4-optimized version of 3.92 posted to the forum awhile back.  Unfortunately, depending on the music you listen to --alt preset standard -Y saves next to nothing over --alt preset standard.  I encoded two heavier CDs and I only got about 7kbps savings avg.  Ended up in the 185 kbit area.

Reply #5
Really? That's interesting, because I find that on most of the music that I listen to (dance / techno), I save anywhere from 30 ~ 40 Kbps per file when I use the -Y switch. If you use Dibrom's LAME 3.90.2 compile, it's worth mentioning that his build does produce slightly larger files than Mitiok's LAME 3.92.

Reply #6
Well, I guess you're at the other end of the spectrum in terms of bitrate savings from -Y  It just proves how sensitive the switch is to the type of music you encode.  If you can get a ~160 kbps bitrate out of --aps -Y,  then I'd say by all means use it!

Reply #7
Okay, thx for the replys, but -aps -Y is as fast as 0.2479 - so I won't do that. Just got an AMD K6-2 350@400.

-ap 135 with LAME 3.94 alpha 2 works fine, it produces files with an ABR of about 129 to 133 kbps with top speed of 1.104  B)

So the question is whether to use to LAME 3.94 alpha 2 or the 3.92 compile by mitiok.

Baddezzed