Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which Version Is The Best? (Read 5547 times) previous topic - next topic

Which Version Is The Best?

There are quite a few versions of mppenc out there: 1.1 , 1.11b ,
1.12 and now I hear of 1.13a. Which version is the best?
Do all of them work with:
--quality 8 --xlevel %s %d                  ?
(And can anyone recommend a better switch?)
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #1
I'd recommend either 1.11b or 1.13a for --quality 8.0. It's a matter of listening and figuring out which one sounds better and whether the higher bitrate files produced by 1.11b result in samples that you can distinguish from the ones 1.13a produces. If you listen to a lot of loud and distorted music, or electronic music with some "needle pulses", you might want to test 1.93h - http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/mpc/encoders...ndows-1.93h.zip

This version is experimental, and will not produce files that can be played in WinAmp (only mppdec 1.93xx can decode those), but it shows great promise in regards to the way Frank optimizes it to handle such difficult to encode sections of music.

As for the command line to use (with 1.11b or 1.13a, of course), use "--xlevel --braindead", and enjoy your music with no worries
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Reply #3
I've been using 1.13a in the --quality 4.5 - 5.0 range. I wouldn't use it yet for archival purposes but I haven't found any sonic problems with it. It really messes up the profile tags, though.

Reply #4
Another thing: mppenc 1.1 is 164 kb, mppenc 1.11b is 78kb...
Obviously 1.11b takes up less than half of the space 1.1 does.
Does this mean that 1.1 has more code, or is this just a matter
of compiler?
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #5
Another thing: mppenc 1.1 is 164 kb, mppenc 1.11b is 78kb...
Obviously 1.11b takes up less than half of the space 1.1 does.
Does this mean that 1.1 has more code, or is this just a matter
of compiler?

Size is different because I nowadays compress all Windows binaries with UPX. I don't like unnecessary bloat in filesizes

Reply #6
As for the command line to use (with 1.11b or 1.13a, of course), use "--xlevel --braindead", and enjoy your music with no worries

Seed, I am new to mpc. Could you state the reasons for coding braindead? No intent of trolling neither arguing, just objective listenting to what others think and do. Tks!
Willy.-

Reply #7
Size is different because I nowadays compress all Windows binaries with UPX. I don't like unnecessary bloat in filesizes

Not only do I learn about the virtues of the various audio formats here, I find out about a GPL'd executable compressor.

I'm likin' this place more and more every day.

Well, maybe every week.

Reply #8
willyram, yourtallness asked for a "--quality 8" switch, so I simply translated
it to "--braindead" which is the same. I assumed this is the quality
he used, so I used "--braindead" in the recommended switch. 1.14 produces
files that are identical to the ones produced by 1.13a and 1.13g. It is safe and recommended to use for these high bitrates.

As for the reasons to use --braindead (--quality 8.0 up to 8.99)... Maybe there are users out there who can hear artifacts at --insane (--quality 7.0) that disappear at --quality 8.0. The MPC developers created --braindead and
"above BrainDead" for the best of the golden ears out there. I'd advise to test --insane first, and only go up if you hear problems.
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Reply #9
I'd advise to test --insane first, and only go up if you hear problems.

I'd suggest trying out --standard first, and only go up if you can ABX problems.

/ Uosdwis