Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DVD-A .aob file plug-in? (Read 5782 times) previous topic - next topic

DVD-A .aob file plug-in?

Weve been using Minnetonka Audio's diskWelder Steel to burn 24-bit DVD-A discs up to 192 KS/s.

Has anyone developed a Foobar2000 plug-in to read DVD-A audio files (.aob)?

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

DVD-A .aob file plug-in?

Reply #1
AFAIK, no.

In general, there are only two software players that support DVD-Audio, creative's player bundled with audigy2 (which also doesn't work with anything except an audigy2), and windvd. As far as I understand, the reason for this is mainly licensing issues.

DVD-A .aob file plug-in?

Reply #2
Weve been using Minnetonka Audio's diskWelder Steel to burn 24-bit DVD-A discs up to 192 KS/s.

Has anyone developed a Foobar2000 plug-in to read DVD-A audio files (.aob)?

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=195081"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know this is an old topic, but I don't think any progress has been made since this question was posted.

For the specific subset of the DVD-A standard implemented by discWelder Steel (and Bronze) - i.e. no MLP and no encryption - it should be relatively straightforward to write a fb2k plugin to play them.

A straightforward approach would be to only look at the .AOB files - these are "simply" MPEG program streams containing LPCM audio.  These are very similar in structure to normal DVD .VOB files (which can also contain LPCM audio), but obviously there is no video stream in a .AOB file.  The LPCM header contains the sample rate and sample size - i.e. all the information needed to play back the data.

A more sophisticated player could look at the .IFO files and try and understand their structure, but that would not really be required.

My understanding is that licensing only applies to MLP - even in this crazy world I don't think PCM audio is patented.

DVD-A .aob file plug-in?

Reply #3
For applications like where Core Sounds interests are, burning your own HQ recording (using Core Sounds recorder). the easy solution is to burn 24/96 DVD-Video instead.