Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar making popping noise when playing (Read 1594 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar making popping noise when playing

I have a PC in my kitchen which is grossly underpowered. I think it's a PII 366 with 160MB of RAM (Maxed out.) I would very much like to use Foobar2000 on it on account of its low system utilization, but whenever I play MP3's on it, there is a popping sound that plays along with the music. This is on ALL MP3's, so I don't think it's an encoding problem. WinAMP, Windows Media Player and iTunes all sound fine, but they are all resource hogs so I can't surf the Internet and listen to music at the same time without slowing the system down to the point of unusability. Is there a setting in Foobar that I should be looking at that would cause these popping sounds on an underpowered PC? Is there another player that might be more adept at playing on such an underpowered system?

System is a IBM Thinkpad 600E
PII 366MHz
160MB RAM
Sound card shows up in device manager as a Crystal SoundFusion™

Thanks in advance for any tips you could offer.