Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: resonstruct Windows startmenu (Read 2459 times) previous topic - next topic

resonstruct Windows startmenu

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']very offtopic...[/span]

is there a way to customize the Windows (XPSP2) startmenu somehow?

I'm interested in remove built in links like 'my documents' and 'help and support' etc in the startmenu and add my own shortcuts there. I know I can do this via 'programs' but that's buried too deep and already full of other stuff.
is there any native way to do so in Windows?
are there any wellbehaved mods, themes or ways to remove and customize this via slipstreaming applications?
any hints are appreciated.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #1
with the powertoys.

Reply #2
Windows XP can do (most of) this right from the start menu properties.

Right-click on the start menu (while it's expanded). Select Properties -> Start menu (tab) -> Customize (button).

When I want to add a program to the menu I usually find the .exe right-click on it and pick 'pin to start menu' from the options.

And kwanbis' way works as well. I think it's the tweakui component.
--
Eric

Reply #3
thanks for your suggestions.

I wasn't able to do everything I want with powertoys tweak UI, there is no option to e.g. delete 'recently used documents' etc.

Right-click on the start menu (while it's expanded). Select Properties -> Start menu (tab) -> Customize (button).
this way you don't have the option to delete or add things in other places than the program group.
edit: well, not much anyway.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #4
I wasn't able to do everything I want with powertoys tweak UI, there is no option to e.g. delete 'recently used documents' etc.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=357367"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right click start - properties - customize - "list my most recently opened documents"

Reply #5
x-setup also