Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need to fix my m4a tags, makes ipod skip (Read 1948 times) previous topic - next topic

Need to fix my m4a tags, makes ipod skip

I use a playlist program for my itunes library called MusicMagic Mixer. This program analyzes  the songs files and makes a fingerprint. That way it can group like songs. I tried a feature that stores the fingerprint in my tags so you wouldn't loose the analysis (it takes a really long time). This did something to the tags that my ipods don't like. It makes them skip. If I select an album on a paticular song, it just shows the name and art for an instant then to the next. No music is played. I emailed the company that makes the software and they told me to use a command line app calle id3cleanup. well it worked great for the mp3s, but half of my collection is m4a. Is there anyway to fix the tags? I really don't want to replace all the songs. I have most backed up, but then none of my playcounts and info added since the backup will be present. I would think I could do it with an apple script, but I don't know how to find out where the program put the fingerprints. Really could use some help. Thanks

Need to fix my m4a tags, makes ipod skip

Reply #1
Figured it out. All the songs that were skipping, were ones that I hadn't listened to in awhile. For some reason if I hadn't played a paticular file in itunes first, after doing the MMM archive to tag feature, it would skip on the ipod. I checked it several times so i'm sure. I found albums that the songs were skipping, played them in itunes for a couple seconds each. updated the ipod and they no longer skip. Thank god. I have no idea why, it was just lucky that i notice that. I'm going to make a playlist with all my m4a files and run a applescript to play them each for a couple seconds. That should do it