Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Max - cdparanoia + lame / ogg / flac for MacOS X (Read 15760 times) previous topic - next topic

Max - cdparanoia + lame / ogg / flac for MacOS X

Reply #25
Thanks a lot for this great application!
Finally we have a secure and easy to use cd ripper on Mac OS X.

One small question. I ran 'strip' on the Max main executable and it shaved of 10MB (13439760  -> 3046852). Any good resons that I, or you, should not strip it? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=354986"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is probably a good idea!  I didn't realize the mp4v2 library was so large; in my rush to release I didn't think of stripping the application.  I will in the future, though- it shouldn't cause any problems.

Reply #26
Thanks for the update.  

A couple of questions, does the lame "Transparent" setting use the -V 2 --vbr-new switch?

Also, what should the "Save encoder settings in comment" check box do? I assumed it would put the switch setting in the mp3 comment field, but when I imported the mp3s into iTunes there was no comment, and in the summary dialogue box the "Encoded with" field showed "Unknown". The tracks also imported with the track number as part of the track name.

When I uncheck the "Save encoder settings in comment" box, everything works as the previous version.

Cheers.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Transparent === -V 2 --vbr-new

The "Save encoder settings in comment" is supposed to do what you describe.  I will go back and check to see if it causes problems for me.  Were the problems you are referring to only for MP3 files or all formats?

Feel free to file bug reports @ [a href="http://sbooth.org/mantis/]http://sbooth.org/mantis/[/url]

Reply #27
The "Save encoder settings in comment" is supposed to do what you describe.  I will go back and check to see if it causes problems for me.  Were the problems you are referring to only for MP3 files or all formats?

Feel free to file bug reports @ http://sbooth.org/mantis/
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355361"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I only tried it with mp3. I'll have a go with the other formats and see what happens.

Edit: I tried the ogg output, the ogg file wouldn't import to itunes so I opened it with VLC and Media Rage, both showed the endoder and settings info and were tagged correctly.

I tried again with lame, this time I opened the file in media rage first, "LAME settings: VBR(q=2) qval=2" was in the comment field and "LAME 3.97 (beta) (Max 0.5)" in the encoder field. I then opened the file in iTunes, this time the track tag came in ok (no track number before the name) and the encoder info was present in the summary field, the comment field was empty however.

I'm not sure what happened the first time I tried it, regarding the track number in the tags and missing encoder info. The missing encoding info in the comment field also happened for me in the previous version of Max, it must be an iTunes specific problem.

I've also had trouble connecting to the freedb today, I get the error message "libcddb reported: unexpected end-of-file" any idea as to what is causing that?

Edit 2: One more thing, would it be possible to change the encoder info to reflect LAME 3.97b2 was used?

Cheers.

Reply #28
The save encoder settings works OK for me using AAC.

ie. "Core Audio settings('aac ' codec): bitrate=192 quality=96"

I would like to know what the "Quality" setting does. The file sizes are pretty close to iTunes VBR.

I have ripped & encoded about a dozen albums but some cause Max to crash. One album that causes it to crash is brand new. Any ideas about what could cause this ?

Reply #29
I have ripped & encoded about a dozen albums but some cause Max to crash. One album that causes it to crash is brand new. Any ideas about what could cause this ?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It isn't your CDs; it is the way the user interface is updated from multiple threads.  Apparently some code I believed was thread safe isn't, and in certain circumstances the application will crash (Unexpectedly quit)  .  I have a beta that fixes the problem, and a new release should be forthcoming within the week.

Reference [a href="http://sbooth.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14]http://sbooth.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14[/url] if you are interested.

Sorry about that- it pains me to discover bugs in software I called a "release" version.

Reply #30
Any chance of a Universal Binary version of Max in the near future?
We're all just noise on the wires..

Reply #31
Any chance of a Universal Binary version of Max in the near future?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=359774"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am working on it; for technical reasons I would rather create static libs on an intel Mac and merge them manually versus creating universal frameworks.

If anyone could offer up some help who has an intel Mac this would be easy for me to do.

Reply #32
Hi sbooth

A friend of mine emailed me a question about max:

"Have you been able to configure MAX thatway so that it sorts the files in folders artist/title and format (e.g. MP3 and FLAC)?
On my computer MAX stores all files in the folder I selected in preferences. Some more comfort would be great. I'd like to have the music stored in foldes like /music/AIR/Moon Safari/MP3 and /music/AIR/Moon Safari/FLAC."

Is this possible?

Thanks

Reply #33
"Have you been able to configure MAX thatway so that it sorts the files in folders artist/title and format (e.g. MP3 and FLAC)?
On my computer MAX stores all files in the folder I selected in preferences. Some more comfort would be great. I'd like to have the music stored in foldes like /music/AIR/Moon Safari/MP3 and /music/AIR/Moon Safari/FLAC."[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362036"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can do this by using custom file naming and using the File Format button (or the placeholder {fileFormat})

HTH!

Reply #34
i haven't seen a definitive answer in this thread. will cdparanoia be of any use when your drive uses a cache/buffer?

i conducted my own test but i don't know if it's good. i ripped one track twice to .flac and compared the PCM output with shntool's cmp function (which you can find in xAct). the result was "the contents of these files are identical". does that mean i have a perfect rip?

Reply #35
i conducted my own test but i don't know if it's good. i ripped one track twice to .flac and compared the PCM output with shntool's cmp function (which you can find in xAct). the result was "the contents of these files are identical". does that mean i have a perfect rip?
No! It only mean you got identical PCM streams from your two rips.
They can both be perfect, or not perfect at all. 

Reply #36
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but when you rip a CD with MAX and create a CUE and WAV file what are you using to burn this under OSX. I have recently converted to MAC and trying to figure out how to do all the things I used to do.

Reply #37
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but when you rip a CD with MAX and create a CUE and WAV file what are you using to burn this under OSX. I have recently converted to MAC and trying to figure out how to do all the things I used to do.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not a [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=20&t=41227&hl=&view=findpost&p=362480]well-catered for[/url] action I'm afraid.

Reply #38
No! It only mean you got identical PCM streams from your two rips.
They can both be perfect, or not perfect at all. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363111"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes, but aren't the chances that i got two identical not-perfect PCM streams, impossibly small?

and i'd like to see .ape (Monkey's audio codec) support in Max!

Reply #39
yes, but aren't the chances that i got two identical not-perfect PCM streams, impossibly small?

No, the chance of getting matching checksums on a faulty rip is not "impossibly small" since consistent errors could still be present, but on the other hand, you have a pretty good chance of having a good rip, since there isn't found any inconsistent errors and hence, the chance of consistent errrors isn't that great. It's the same chance as if you had used EAC in secure mode without C2, and gotten 100% in track quality. If using EAC in secure mode without C2 and gotten no errors reported but under 100% track quality, then there has been detected inconsistent errors in the rip, and all though they have been corrected by re-reading, then the chance of consistent errors being present is bigger.

Reply #40
Would really love to be able to use this on 10.3.9 (panther)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So would I, but it looks like there's never going to be a Panther version of Max, which is too bad.

However, if you're stuck with Mac OS X v10.3.9, you may be interested in these AppleScript scripts.
[a href="http://www.lexial.ca/alex/applescripts/applescripts.html]http://www.lexial.ca/alex/applescripts/applescripts.html[/url]. They're not a replacement for Max, but you may find them a convenient way to control cdparanoia, cdrdao, and flac.