Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Roxio Toast 7 Titanium for Mac Supports FLAC (Read 18694 times) previous topic - next topic

Roxio Toast 7 Titanium for Mac Supports FLAC

I just found out today that the brand new Roxio Toast 7 Titatium for Mac supports both FLAC and Ogg encoding from other audio formats as well as CD audio and DVD burning using FLAC and Ogg files. See below link for press release:

http://www.roxio.com/en/company/news/archi..._08_22_05.jhtml

I just saw a quick mention in the Spread FLAC thread about this also, but felt it deserved its own thread for discussion as many MAC users will want to upgrade to get the new FLAC encoding and audio CD features.

I have been waiting for a native Mac OS X (Tiger) app that supported CD/DVD burning with FLAC support so I can convert my FLAC audio masters to audio CDs and other formats.

Anyone with any experience using this Toast 7 Titanium on a Mac for FLAC files? Does it truly work as promised. Hopefully if we get good reports, this product can be added to the main FLAC site for FLAC supporting applications.

I know Easy CD Creator 7.5 on the PC had promised FLAC support, but that turned out to be extremely limited. Hopefully the folks at Sonic/Roxio got it right in this new Mac Toast 7 Titanium release.

More about Toast 7 for Mac's FLAC support can be found on their page under "Hear It" at:
http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast7/fe..._improved.jhtml

Namely:

•   NEW! Seamless support for OGG and FLAC - popular enthusiasts audio formats – in audio CD and music DVD projects.
•   NEW! Convert audio files to OGG, FLAC, AAC and more.

Quoting from a Yahoo! News Story about Toast 7 Titanium for Mac ( http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/m...rowsingmuchmore ):

"Also new to this release is support for Ogg Vorbis and Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) audio formats. You can use Ogg and FLAC in your audio CDs, import and export music in those formats and more."

Reply #1
Here is a good review of FLAC support included with Roxio's Toast 7.01 for MAC OS X:
http://www.macworld.com/2005/09/reviews/to...anium/index.php

It looks like the reviewer tested FLAC support and was well pleased with FLAC audio recording and CD buring from FLAC files features of Toast 7.

Also according to several sites, and the Roxio Toast 7.01 release notes, a bug with FLAC writing extra audio data when converting FLAC files to audio CDs has now been fixed in the version 7.01 update:

FLAC bug fixed MacFixIt reader Daniel Linhart writes:

"If you burn audio discs straight from FLAC files (without prior decompression) DAO with zero gaps selected, 0.1 second silences are inserted between tracks and some audio data is lost at these points as well.

"Anything converted to or from FLAC using Toast 7's Export facility is altered so that it no longer contains the same audio data as the original, thus rendering it a useless function."

This bug has been resolved in Toast Titanium 7.0.1.

Reply #2
Well I bit the bullet and bought a new iMac G5 today and also bought Roxio's Toast 7 Titanium. I just wanted to report the FLAC support is VERY GOOD. You can export to FLAC from an Audio CD, play FLAC files from within Toast 7 and also burn Audio CDs using FLAC files as music source files.

It is refreshing to see a major app support FLAC natively without requiring plug-ins. Make sure you get the 7.01 patch to fix the flac file length issue.

Reply #3
thanks for the info; I added links.

Reply #4
I have it. What sucks is you can't pick Flac export options. I like to compress live shows to 192 kbps m4a for itunes. You can only do 128 kbps. But its still nice for burning and decoding to aiff. It seems a little faster than XACT. If anyone knows differant about the flac export options let me know. by default it's greyed out and I couldn't find anything in the pref. I forgot, You can't export from flac to alac either.