Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cable for M-Audio LX4 (Read 2393 times) previous topic - next topic

Cable for M-Audio LX4

I just received an M-Audio LX4 speaker system for christmas however I am using a pretty average quality cable with rather thin wire for now. It consists of a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end with 2 6.3mm mono plugs on the other end.

What I would like to know, is does things like gold plated plugs or lower gauge wire affect sound quality much?

I plan on making another cable with gold plated plugs and as low gauge wire as possible but what is the lowest gauge cable that would fit into a 3.5mm plug? or would i be better off using a 6.3mm plug and getting a 6.3mm to 3.5mm convertor?

Thanks

Cable for M-Audio LX4

Reply #1
What I would like to know, is does things like gold plated plugs or lower gauge wire affect sound quality much?

I plan on making another cable with gold plated plugs and as low gauge wire as possible but what is the lowest gauge cable that would fit into a 3.5mm plug? or would i be better off using a 6.3mm plug and getting a 6.3mm to 3.5mm convertor?

Lots of arguments can be had over this, with 3.5 mm mini jacks gold plated plugs might make a small amount of difference however just buy a ready made cable, much easier than getting the correct solder and wire and making one.

However the quality of the sound card you are using it with will have vastly bigger effect than almost any cable you are likely to have, unless you really are using 40 meters bellwire twisted together and stuck together with LX tape.

Cable for M-Audio LX4

Reply #2
The cables effect the sound to some extend. The cheapest cable you'll find will cut high frequencies but buying some $2.000 MonsterCables is definately an overkill. I'd settle with cables that have some kind of shielding and that are reasonably priced (e.g. €20 for a few metres with connectors).

Cable for M-Audio LX4

Reply #3
The reason I decided to make one was mainly because its almost impossible to find a cable with the connections i want.

The Belkin PureAV cable seems to be pretty good, but what size would fit a 3.5mm plug? Dabs have 15, 16 and 18 AWG and from what i gather lower is better:

http://www.dabs.com/ProductList.aspx?Searc...=0&SearchType=1