Skip to main content
Topic: iBook 2MB buffer cache,too big for cdparanoia? (Read 4107 times) previous topic - next topic

iBook 2MB buffer cache,too big for cdparanoia?

I use a mac for my main computer ,iBook g4 933mhz) My combo drove has a 2MB buffer. I've read in other post that cdparanoia's error correction won't work with a large buffer. I would like to know if that is considered a large buffer? if so is there a way to disable it like in EAC? I do have a PC as well but I muck prefer my mac if I can get it done effectively. also when you copy a cd in Roxio toast titanium for mac os x, you have the option of verifying it when its done. Does that tell you if the copy and original are or are not exactly the same? Thanks for your help

Reply #1
AFAIK, cdparanoia does not work (i.e. not detect errors) if the drive uses *any* kind of buffer (Note: having a buffer does not mean it necessarily uses it when reading audio CDs, but it's very likely). Your best bet would be to have some kind of "test and copy" routine when ripping (similar like in EAC) where you compare the checksums of the ripped tracks. You can do this in fast burst mode. If the checksums match, you have a secure rip. Whether the drive caches or not is irrelevant for this procedure.
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Reply #2
so i should create a checksum file of an audio cd ,original, then rip it create checksum of the ripped file. If they are the same than it was a valid rip? Or do you mean make a test disc. example: wav files burnt with md5s Then rip them and see if the wav checksums match? what would this tell me? that that particular rip was accurate ? or that cdp seems to be working with my drive? Thanks for your reply

Reply #3
so i should create a checksum file of an audio cd ,original, then rip it create checksum of the ripped file. If they are the same than it was a valid rip? Or do you mean make a test disc. example: wav files burnt with md5s Then rip them and see if the wav checksums match? what would this tell me? that that particular rip was accurate ? or that cdp seems to be working with my drive? Thanks for your reply
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347379"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know about Mac software, but e.g. with EAC or Audiograbber, a CRC can be displayed for each track ripped. In EAC, you can just press "test and copy", and everything is done automatically (disc is ripped twice and checksums can be compared - if they match, your rip is perfect). But you can also do it manually. Essentially, you have to rip the original disc twice and compare the two rips to each other. I don't know what is the quickest way to do this comparison manually, maybe someone else has an idea. But if the ripped tracks are identical, your rip is as secure as if ripped with EAC.
Another possibility would be to use the "accuraterip" database (www.accuraterip.com), but that probably wouldn't work due to the missing software on a Mac.
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."

Reply #4
I tried doing the md5 checksums on the actual cd then copy but didn't work. I don't know if it is because of the file format differences?
    But anyway there is a "compare" feature on toast 7. This lets you compare files or folders to see if they are the same. I copied a cd to a disc image ,then mounted it and ran the toast compare utility, they came out the same. I have done listening test on wav files to see if I can hear any clicks. I used etymotic ER4Ps and couldn't here any.
    I would feel a lot better if I didn't have to listen to them before encoding to aac. Does anyone have any info about the Toast "compare" function? I might just have to use EAC for cds with scratches and transfer them over to my mac HD. It really sucks that there isn't any secure ripper for mac os x. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to build on the cdparanoia ports already for os x and add features that work with current hardware, but I'm definitely not a programer. Maybe it's more difficult than i think, or there just isn't enough interest? By the way thanks to everyone for posting their expeirences and knowledge. This site is by far the best I've seen. I'm new to these forums, so I apologize for the newbee ?s

Reply #5
    But anyway there is a "compare" feature on toast 7. This lets you compare files or folders to see if they are the same. I copied a cd to a disc image ,then mounted it and ran the toast compare utility, they came out the same. I have done listening test on wav files to see if I can hear any clicks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=347402"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've no idea what "toast 7" is, but if it can compare files/folders, it should do. Just rip the disc to folder A, then rip it again to folder B. If the two folders are identical, your rip was perfect. No need to check for clicks if you do it like this.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019