Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Oggenc channel order issues (Read 27656 times) previous topic - next topic

Oggenc channel order issues

Reply #25
Another possibility would be to add a digital silence channel, and encode the user's 4.1 input as a vorbis 5.1 stream. Vorbis compresses digital silence very well (~1kbps, IIRC).

This could be done by the user before passing the source to oggenc/oggdrop, or it could be done by oggenc/oggdrop (perhaps with a warning that the encoded file will have another stream in it).

Reply #26
Another possibility would be to add a digital silence channel, and encode the user's 4.1 input as a vorbis 5.1 stream. Vorbis compresses digital silence very well (~1kbps, IIRC).

This could be done by the user before passing the source to oggenc/oggdrop, or it could be done by oggenc/oggdrop (perhaps with a warning that the encoded file will have another stream in it).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346327"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This would be easy enough to do and it could be added as an option. Would it cause any issues on playback? Would the speaker config need to specifed as 5.1?

Reply #27
I've just uploaded oggdropXPdV1.8.7beta 1 here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/oggdr...eta-generic.zip. With this version, multi-channel decode works both for writing to file and for playback. It also adds the option to downmix the multi-channel output to stereo, also for decode to file and playback.

Once I'm satisfied that there do not appear to be any problems with this, I'll release this, a similarly modified oggdec and also a similarly modified oggenc2.