Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio In Svcds (Read 8762 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio In Svcds

i was recently encoding my svcds audio at 224kbps but i was pretty dissatisified with the picture quality.  i was wondering what you guys use and think is an acceptable bitrate for an mp2 stream using besweet (i use dvd2svcd).  thanks.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #1
I say never encode svcd's ever again, never, ever...
Move on to MPEG-4, XviD or DivX.
It's absolete, and, it sucks. I know, the only reason you may want SVCD's is to view them with your hardware player... But in not so long MPEG-4 capable hardware players will hit the market.
Sorry, i can't help you aoout acceptable bitrate because i haven't touched SVCD in a looong time and don't remember..

Audio In Svcds

Reply #2
I find 160 is adequate for my home movies. Not many would agree with this though.

192 is most common over at doom9.

Mp4 allows the same video quality on 1 cd. There is no hardware support just yet.

If a hardware player that will output ac3 comes around, that would be perfect. Near full res rips on 2 cds with ac3 would get me to switch right away.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #3
did you use cce ?
it gives you the best video quality with dvd2svcd.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #4
did you use cce ?

Is it really better than TMPGEnc Plus when you make 2pass new and highest quality (slowest)? Encoding is really slow then, but quality is perfect. I´ve seen several tests where TMPGEnc wins over several commercial MPEG-2-Encoders (Ligos, Panasonic) in quality.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #5
I say never encode svcd's ever again, never, ever...
Move on to MPEG-4, XviD or DivX.
It's absolete, and, it sucks. I know, the only reason you may want SVCD's is to view them with your hardware player... But in not so long MPEG-4 capable hardware players will hit the market.
Sorry, i can't help you aoout acceptable bitrate because i haven't touched SVCD in a looong time and don't remember..

you insist that Xvid hardware support is just around the corner, but somehow, i just don't believe you... well. unless Sigma starts making standalones, i guess...

Audio In Svcds

Reply #6
.. not XVID hardware support, ISO MPEG-4 hardware support. and XviD just happens to be 100% ISO compliant.
I insist MPEG-4 hardware support is pretty close. You CAN not believe me, after all i don't have any information from any company or something like that. But it seems to me that it certainly WILL be the next best thing, and will not take very long untill it's here.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #7
Is it really better than TMPGEnc Plus when you make 2pass new and highest quality (slowest)?

Yes. No doubts about that.

I´ve seen several tests where TMPGEnc wins over several commercial MPEG-2-Encoders (Ligos, Panasonic) in quality.

Hummm... Panasonic MPEG2 encoder was released only some weeks ago.

But, IMO, Panasonic is indeed the best MPEG1 encoder.

Canopus Procoder is worth taking a look as well. The developers made kind of an "honor issue" to be better than CCE. (Regarding quality, at least, since it's faaaaar away from CCE's speed).

Audio In Svcds

Reply #8
.. not XVID hardware support, ISO MPEG-4 hardware support. and XviD just happens to be 100% ISO compliant.
I insist MPEG-4 hardware support is pretty close. You CAN not believe me, after all i don't have any information from any company or something like that. But it seems to me that it certainly WILL be the next best thing, and will not take very long untill it's here.

Just curious but how what are your sources? Do you have any links? Any info is appreciated.
Sorry, I have nothing witty to say here.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #10
H.264/MPEG-4 is the newest "better then mpg4" video compression to hit the news!

Talk about H.26L :-P

Audio In Svcds

Reply #11
Read here

Current XviD uses H.263.

and, quoting -h..
H.264 == H.26L == MPEG-4 part 10 == AVC == JVT.

It just depends on who you ask.

-h

Anyone knows where to get a compiled JM? (or can compile? )

Audio In Svcds

Reply #12
BTW: in which codec are coded SACDs and DVD-As?

Edit: i think it is AAC... or is it AC3? (puzzled)
...anyway, it is 24bits 192KHz (i'll probably downsample it to 48KHz, as it is 192/4, given the chance)

Audio In Svcds

Reply #13
BTW: in which codec are coded SACDs and DVD-As?

Edit: i think it is AAC... or is it AC3? (puzzled)
...anyway, it is 24bits 192KHz (i'll probably downsample it to 48KHz, as it is 192/4, given the chance)

DVD-As are coded in Meridian Lossless Packing.
SACDs aren't coded - they aren't even in PCM audio form. (DSD = PDM: Pulse-Duration Modulation)

Audio In Svcds

Reply #15
MPEG-4 support in hardware devices is matter of months,  since many vendors already demonstrated MPEG-4 hardware on IBC-2002. 

Regarding AVC/H.264  -  also, there were initial hardware demonstrations, and H.264 was able to achieve DVD quality at bit rate slightly higher than 1 Mbps - however, complexity of the H.264 is considerably higher than MPEG-4 SP or ASP, and H.264 is still not a standard (not to mention that patent pool is not formed yet) - so support for it will come little bit later than for old MPEG-4 profiles.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #16
I just recently encoded a 90 minute movie to 2CD SVCD using DVD2SVCD and CCE 4-pass encoding, using Afterdawn.com's guide. The picture quality (using TV-out) was very good and very comparable to 2CD DivX releases.  The higher resolution of DivX gives it an edge on the computer screen, but on the TV screen things are a whole lot different. In 1CD DivX rips (in SOME movies, not ALL) some scenes can bleed very bad, so I would choose 2CD SVCD over it easily.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #17
I just recently encoded a 90 minute movie to 2CD SVCD using DVD2SVCD and CCE 4-pass encoding, using Afterdawn.com's guide. The picture quality (using TV-out) was very good and very comparable to 2CD DivX releases.  The higher resolution of DivX gives it an edge on the computer screen, but on the TV screen things are a whole lot different. In 1CD DivX rips (in SOME movies, not ALL) some scenes can bleed very bad, so I would choose 2CD SVCD over it easily.

I agree. The mpeg 2 format does not suffer from the macroblocks that still pop up with xvid or divx five.

Div-x 3 was worst for this. Even with nandub and a high bitrate, background stuff would get blocky. This looks like hell on tv playback.

But again, without ac3 capability, SVCD is going to get replaced eventually.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #18
what is with the mpeg 5.1 option under audio in dvd2svcd?  is it an option supported by svcd standards?  would it play in standalone players?  and how is the sound quality, and what bitrate did you use, for those of you that have tested it?  a lot of questions, but thanks for taking the time to read and answer them.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #19
Has anyone compared or able to estimate how bad is the damage done in AC3 -> 224kbps MP2 conversion when creating SVCDs - in terms of audio quality?

Audio In Svcds

Reply #21
Mpeg-4 stand alone hardware is available in france since last week. (Sygma chip)

Audio In Svcds

Reply #22
Mpeg-4 stand alone hardware is available in france since last week. (Sygma chip)

Same people who stole XviD code?

Audio In Svcds

Reply #23
Same people who stole XviD code?

Sure.

Audio In Svcds

Reply #24
DVD-As are coded in Meridian Lossless Packing.
SACDs aren't coded - they aren't even in PCM audio form. (DSD = PDM: Pulse-Duration Modulation)

SA-CD uses PDM, not PWM ( PDM = Pulse Density Modulation ).
They also use an encoding: fixed book huffman encoding.
PWM can be easily compressed and you need the compression to
achieve usable playing times ( 4700000000 * 8 / 6 ch / 2822400 Hz = 37 min ).

DVD-A uses normal PCM with 16 ... 20 bit at sample rates of 48 ... 192 kHz using
MLP.
Diocletian

Time Travel Agency
Book a journey to the Diocletian Palace. Not today!