Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New full (!) Lame frontend with cd ripper! (Read 28119 times) previous topic - next topic

New full (!) Lame frontend with cd ripper!

Reply #25
Please refrain from the "trash" talk in this thread. He made a program you dont have to go an call it the "poorest excuse for a CD Ripper".
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=342010"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Have you seen a worse CD ripper? One that promises to be the best in the world, so good you don't even need an uninstaller?
I was refraining from posting in this thread until the author's arrogant "No comment" remark.

Reply #26
No I haven't seen a worse CD Ripper because the only CD Rippers I ever used was CDDA (the DOS one) and EAC. Actually I lie I used iTunes and WMP as well.

So what if it doesn't provide an uninstaller, if it doesn't install tendrils of itself throughout your system a quick Delete of the directory and Start Menu program listing is all that is needed. So unless I am corrected I doubt this program install itself like Sony's DRM.

Regards
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Reply #27
Hi 2 All!
the interface is poor and the design looks like something a 10-year old would draw with MS Paint.

Under low resolution it's in fact not  good-looking. Now I working at this problem.
No FreeDB support but designed with 1280x resolutions in mind... Interesting. Does that mean that people over there can afford 21" monitors but not Internet access?

No, I have 17" monitor but with resolution 1280x768.
This is by far the poorest excuse for a CD ripper I have seen.

"Thanks." Now it's like the "ugly duckling". But...u'll see. Everything is down the road.

Запинали...

Alex.

Reply #28
No, I have 17" monitor but with resolution 1280x768. :)
That's a pretty funky res. It would make more sense to optimize for a more mainstream one (i.e., 800x600 or 1024x768).

"Thanks." Now it's like the "ugly duckling". But...u'll see. Everything is down the road.

Запинали...
Alex.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=343291"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Certainly, my verdict is not the last word if you are serious about your app.

Удачи.

Reply #29
I took sources from my friened 4 month ago. I did it because the idea was cool and there were not any analogues.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341201"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why do you think that that "STOLEN" sources?

Your friend obviously took the CDex sources and modified them. And since you are using those sources in a closed app, you are violating the GPL.

"Let's be "different"!" Why not?
And, you know, that if you placed start menu at the bottom more convenient to work with porgrams that have menu at the bottom too.

And those programs are...?

Only now I noticed, that that was Burrrn developer.
No comments.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341204"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now, wtf does that mean?

Reply #30
unreliable host
couldn't open the webpage
can anyone put a zipped of .85b1 version on more reliable host?
Lame 3.97: -V2 --vbr-new

Reply #31
unreliable host
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345528"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ehehe.

Reply #32
unreliable host
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345528"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Host.sk -  Realy stupid  & unreliable host ! 
In a few  hours program will be uploaded to Ukrainian host. I'll inform of this. (It is three o'clock in the morning and I can't do this)
Shefl 0.88 - adapted to low resolutions (dynamic), some interface elements have been fully changed.  Rather faster.

Reply #34
error... no expand.exe found. what os is this for? running win98 here.

cheers,
h
cast out...

Reply #35
error... no expand.exe found. what os is this for? running win98 here.

cheers,
h
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346221"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Under lower windows ver Shefl doesnot work. NT, w2k, XP Only. Sorry. Maybe I correct it in future.

Reply #36
This is upcoming project. So you can suggest new ideas,
advises and comments. And of course bugfixes.

Please tell me what you like or dislike.
This is only a prerelease, so no work on the user documentation has been done yet.

And then some : if you don't like this software - don't use it!

Reply #37
As sated already, an uninstaller would be a first start to make this app. usable. it's a unnecessary hassle to manually delete registry entries made by your frontend.
I didn't try the newer versions but as you didn't mention it my guess it that this 'feature' is still not implented.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #38
Installer:
The text has lines running through the text

Uninstaller:
Doesn't cleanly uninstall, registry enteries still present

Program:
Constant flashign lines and animations are annoying
Non standard mouse icons when in menus
menu at the bottom
its encode not code
columbs need manual resizing to display headings properly, ie. the Num. columbs
Text in menus sits over images in background, looks improperly formated

Got bored after this, you may think the features and layout, design make it interesting and unique, but it just seems to make it look poorly designed difficult to use. Put me off giving it ago anyway.

[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Finally, possible license violation[/span]

why does the CD.dll 1.0.0.1 have the Company Name as Albert L Faber

Do you know who he is? Did he build the library for you? He is reposnsible for CDex which is under the, GNU General Public License (GPL).
As Gambit said, yo are violating the GPL and should release your sources. Pretty low i think!!

Kristian

Reply #40
I see and I understand that MOST of people who posted there their
msgs completely disapprove of this project.
Maybe I should close and delete it? There are many others cool cd
rippers and LAME front-ends. And I wouldnot "fool about" and
would't waste my time. What d'u people think about?
It's not a whine it's real question.

Reply #41
No, it's a dirty threat.

"Accept that I shamelessly break the GPL, or I'll take my toys home and you won't hear of my tool again"

What a shame, mister!

Reply #42
what you should do is respect the GPL, and release the source code, and continue working on the project. CDex is dead, so it would really be wellcome, but as stated you MUST RESPECT THE GPL AND RELEASE THE SOURCE CODE.

Reply #43
what you should do is respect the GPL, and release the source code, and continue working on the project. CDex is dead, so it would really be wellcome, but as stated you MUST RESPECT THE GPL AND RELEASE THE SOURCE CODE.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346427"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't mean the GPL! It's really so difficult to understand??
I mean that program is difficult and there are many switches that is often not useful .
I mean that there are many  good-looking and easier to use analogous programs.

Reply #44
Alex, nothing is wrong with your effort. That you put effort into making something is great enough. Any criticisms toward its looks are merely clues for you to improve the project. For example, you don't have to change your interface's arrangement, or the options, if you don't want to. You'll get criticism, but nobody will be against you.

But everyone will be against you if you don't follow the GPL. Remember that the author of CDex obviously did large amounts of work to create a ripper. And look - he gave the code out, free, so that you (or your friend) can make your derivative. In turn he asks (demands) that you do the same. If you can't respect that, then you have not no right to use his code.

the HA community is very firm on that. Because not only is that the law, it is also quite morally right. You have these options at this point.

1) Release the source code of Shefl
2) Rewrite your own ripping routines using NO CDex code
3) Separate your ripper from your encoder frontend, making both standalone software (but working together when installed together), and release the source code of ripper
4) Other stuff I didn't think of

If you can't do any of the above, then your project have no right to exist. I don't think the community will like you very much (at all) either. Especially not after Miriam (search for Audio Identifier if you want to know).

Reply #45
Alex, nothing is wrong with your effort. That you put effort into making something is great enough. Any criticisms toward its looks are merely clues for you to improve the project. For example, you don't have to change your interface's arrangement, or the options, if you don't want to. You'll get criticism, but nobody will be against you.

But everyone will be against you if you don't follow the GPL. Remember that the author of CDex obviously did large amounts of work to create a ripper. And look - he gave the code out, free, so that you (or your friend) can make your derivative. In turn he asks (demands) that you do the same. If you can't respect that, then you have not no right to use his code.

the HA community is very firm on that. Because not only is that the law, it is also quite morally right.

exactly

Reply #46
Further addendum:
2) Rewrite your own ripping routines using NO CDex code
3) Separate your ripper from your encoder frontend, making both standalone software (but working together when installed together), and release the source code of ripper
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=346433"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The options (2) and (3) that I presented above is only for your future versions of Shefl.

[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%']For now, because you have already released the binaries, the source code of your past binary versions must be released under the GPL.[/span]

Reply #47
Alex, as someone who designs user interfaces for a living (well, that's part of the job, anyway), I can tell you that in most cases a 'unique' user interface makes a program harder to use.  One of the great aspects of modern GUIs is consistency.  Controls look and behave the same way in all applications.  Users can intuit how to do new tasks because the GUIs involved with those tasks are comprised of things the users have already seen and understand. 

For a real-life example, consider the steering wheel.  Anybody who has driven a car knows what a steering wheel is and how it works.  Given that, they stand a good chance of correctly operating other machinery that includes a steering wheel - boats, riding lawn mowers, forklifts - even they have never seen any of these things before.

So look upon any uniqueness of your UI with very critical eyes.  Test.  It is good to put UI mock-ups in front of real users to gauge reactions and usability.  You'll find in the great majority of cases that people get more work done faster and happier when they have familiar, predictable UIs.

And I can tell you for a fact that menus at the bottom of the app are almost always a bad idea.

And for Jeeeebus sake, at least google GPL and read what you can.  It will make your life as a developer much easier.  Times used to be simpler.  Nowadays you have to pay very close attention to licenses and such.

Good luck.

Reply #48
Shefl will be under the GPL license it's an optimal variant.
Of course I could separate ripper like plugin. But I have no time so GPL.

Reply #49
I need your people suggestions. It concern of Lame presets.
If you noticed Lame presets in Shefl was divided into 2 groups:
General presets (placed in "Lame options" form) and
Favorite presets - which you can set to menu "favorits" from General presets.
Then for example if want to save some preset you need to do this long operation like:
Open "Lame options" >> save preset >> close form >> open "shefl options" form >>
drag presets from favorite list to Menu list .

In this connection there are some questions and suggestions:
1.Maybe it would be better to save preset right away to Menu "Favorite"? But then we have some drawback like "What user will do if there are more than 50 presets in one menu?"

2.Next suggest. -  Group presets in menu (nested menus). But How? (I think you're understanding that it's not technical question)

3.Add to "Lame options" form, the list with menu "favorite" items (like in Shefl opt.)

4. Leave presets like they are.

Your suggestions... What do you think about?