Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What Kind Of Computer To Run At Home? (Read 12172 times) previous topic - next topic

What Kind Of Computer To Run At Home?

Reply #50
I know exactly what you're saying SK.  I have GeForce 4 TI 4200 myself. 

Reply #51
I don't know what all this, ahm, nonsense about Geforce 4 not being fast is all about.
Sure, ATI Redeon 9700 Pro is "K|nG" and all..
But, i have a geforce 4 4200ti and am very satisfied with it.
It's not very expensive, about 160$. And has great performence for that price.

It pays the cost to be the  boss.

Reply #52
mmmmm....

from infotech [http://www.infotechnow.com]

- amd athlon xp 2200+ ............................... $160
- asus a7v333 .................................... $106
- pc 2700 512mb 333mhz ddr dimm ......... $136 x2
- 1.44 floppy drive ............................... $9
- adaptec 29160 u160 oem scsi kit.......... $199
- ibm ultrastar 36.9gb 73lzx scsi hd ......... $240 x2
- lian li aluminum case [pc-7usb] ............. $110
- mouse and keyboard ........................... $30
- power supply and case extras ............... $70

from "around the net"

- ati all-in-wonder radeon 8500 128mb ...... $240 or wait for 9700?
- toshiba sd-m1401 10x40 dvd ................. $120
- plextor 1210ts 12x10x32 cdrw ............... $160
- terratec dmx 6fire2496......................... $250
- debian gnu/linux sarge

----GRAND--TOTAL----------------------- $2206 [holy @#$%!]

...and that's not including monitor, ethernet, speakers, and headphones!

btw... infotech is an awesome local oem company located in federal way, wa  usa.  they kick ass...

now they have a website up and ship... if you guys know of a cheaper place let me know, mmmkay?

drooling now...
mike

Reply #53
edited: Oh man!!.. i can't believe how stupid of me!  Only now i noticed the sarcastic humor.. Should have read well

Anyway... on another note ()
I don't know what all this, ahm, nonsense about Geforce 4 not being fast is all about.
Sure, ATI Redeon 9700 Pro is "K|nG" and all..
But, i have a geforce 4 4200ti and am very satisfied with it.
It's not very expensive, about 160$. And has great performence for that price.
For example, did you ever use GLExcess as a benchmark?
Try it sometime, tweek your system, tweak all, then start the benchmark (mark all tests), and see how many XSMarks you get. I remember i got more than 6600 points (without "overoverclocking" it untill it freezes my computer like many do..). At 1024X768, 32bit. Now that's a very fine result for this very fine, not so expensive card. And it performs completely stunning in everything else i have, not just GLExcess, no complaints here.

GeForce 4 Ti4600 is slow... The day I see you trying to play UT2003 in 1600x1200x32 with 4x AA and 16x AF with your GeForce 4 Ti4200, I'll be laughing my ass off...  (Not really, but I think you understand...)

Sorry if I sound a bit mean, but you seriously don't know what Radeon 9700 Pro can do until you've tried it out... It's THE biggest thing that have ever been released on the 3D graphics market (for non professionals) as of yet when it comes to quality and speed...

By the way, don't use benchmarks like 3DMark200x and GLExcess... If you want to see real world performance, then use benchmarks using real game engines... Q3 and UT2003 is just perfect for that... Then cram up the resolution, AA and AF to push the cards to their limits... (We're talking 1600x1200 and above... Running 1024x768 is defineatly processor limited these days...)

Reply #54
Yes, you DO sound mean man. No need for that.
I know PERFECTLY what 9700 can do.
To my opinion running a game, or anything at a resolution of *1600X1200* when using a "standard size" monitor is completely idiotic, stupid, and further more, SILLY.
A resolution of 1024X768 with full ALL filters (trilinear filtering, anistropic filtering, blabla) and antialiasing level of 3X or 4X will give you HEAVEN.
1600X1200 is simply laughable to my opinion unless you have a 28 inch monitor. Why the hell would anyone with a 19 inch monitor want to use 1600X1200, and especially with all the filters and antialiasing, it gives fantastic quality, and the difference you'll notice, if any, is very minor.
1152X864 is the highest i use (19inch), if i had a 21inch monitor maybe i'd use 1280X960, but still not likely.

Reply #55
Why the hell would anyone with a 19 inch monitor want to use 1600X1200, and especially with all the filters and antialiasing, it gives fantastic quality, and the difference you'll notice, if any, is very minor.

um... no.

Reply #56
um, yes.
well, i guess yes you will notice a difference, but it won't be a difference that really matters. (and as you can always say, what matters less to you matters more to someone else, yeah..)

Reply #57
um, yes.

Nope... The difference between AA+AF and no AA+AF in 1600x1200 is just like 1024x768... Like night and day that is... I can easily see jaggies in 1600x1200, especially on 19"...

Some people are simply more sensitive to jaggies and blurred textures than other... Same for pre-echo in lossy audio compression...

Reply #58
I suppose that's true. Eye sight was never my strong point. Anyway i'd still say that more than 1280X960 with a 19 inch monitor is not reasonable. But yeah, i'm not very sensitive.

Reply #59
Okay, enough videocard squabbling. This is an audio forum

And because it's an audio forum, I recommend that you take this site into consideration too if you want to build a PC: Silent PC Review. They've got some good stuff on building quiet PC's, better than any other site I've bumped into on the net.

I'm running a dual-processor machine, and the noise is horrendus. If I want to do detailed listening I have to burn to MP3-CD, turn off the computer, and play the music on my portable player. The computer noise absolutely kills quiet details in music, and my roommate and I have trouble sleeping if I ever leave it on overnight (it's in the bedroom).

Now that computers are rediculously fast, and no killer apps except for games are on the hoizon, it doesn't make sense to sacrifice your living environment and listening enjoyment for a few more MHz, superfluous frames-per-second, or a slightly shorter boot-time. If I had a configurable motherboard, I'd downclock my processors without hesitation, and you may want to as well, so check to make sure your to-be-purchased motherboard allows this.

Reply #60
If I had a configurable motherboard, I'd downclock my processors without hesitation, and you may want to as well, so check to make sure your to-be-purchased motherboard allows this.

Ever tried something like SoftFSB to change the FSB speed in Windows?