Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New LAME logo - results (Read 46199 times) previous topic - next topic

New LAME logo - results

Reply #77
During 6 years we had no logo, and now that we have one, some of you are thinking that waiting a few more days to have high res versions is impossible?

New LAME logo - results

Reply #78
I wasn't about to answer, but here goes.

I didn't say that it was impossible. Nobody said that was impossible. I wonder why you think people think that's impossible.

I just thought it would have been nice if we had high-res logos on the day of the announcement. If samwell himself had said that I would have had to wait, I would have waited.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #79
Ok, I did not thought of it this way.
Then it is my bad, as I annouced the selected logo before we had high res versions available.
Now, I understand your point. I should probably have explained in the announcement that high res would be available soon.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #80
Then it is my bad, as I annouced the selected logo before we had high res versions available.
And then you would have had members clammering for the decision, saying that they "don't need a high res image - just give them the result".

IMHO this doesn't all mean very much until mp3dev.org gets rebranded.  There's no point using the LAME logo if there is no relationship with the LAME project.  It is the LAME brand, and until LAME rebrand themselves it is meaningless.

Once the website is branded, with clear links to all available assets, then developers can start using the logo in their applications and there will be some symbiosis.

Once this happens the LAME brand will really start taking off.

I'm very much looking forward to it - both the new website and seeing applications proudly sporting the new logos (especially LameDropXPd ).

Best of luck to the LAME team - especially Roberto - with this new phase.

Please Note: I have uploaded some SVG files to my website.  These were exported directly from Illustrator.  I will speak to Samwell about this tomorrow.
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #81
Thank you for providing directly converted SVG files.

I noticed though that the colours are slightly different when I loaded them in Inkscape.

Code: [Select]
rgb(10,81,161)   #0a51a1  rgb(171,218,78)   #abda4e // values from submission GIF
rgb(13,124,247)  #0d7cf7  rgb(171,255,69)   #abff45 // values from AI files, as seen in GIMP
rgb(0,113,181)   #0071b5  rgb(180,210,110)  #b4d26e // values from SVG files, as seen in Inkscape

Could there be something wrong with the software I'm using?

edit: and the sample at http://lame.sourceforge.net/newlogo.html is different yet again.

blue: rgb(23,82,157) #17529d
green: rgb(171,215,76) #abd74c

edit2: http://blacksun.ivyro.net/lame/#cc

New LAME logo - results

Reply #82
You're welcome.

The files are smaller, presumably due to less complex paths, so I deemed it worthwhile.  Although negligable now, if used to convert to another format it may be a worthwhile saving.  This is my first introduction to an actual SVG (I read about them over a year ago) and I'm very impressed.  6KiB as apposed to a 956KiB EPS for logofull!  Edit: it was while investigating SVG that I saw that Illustrator could export to the format, so I gave it a go.

Yours is the point which I hope to speak to Samwell about today.

I noticed that your page uses the colours from the submitted image, and that these differ from the colours reported by both Illustrator and Inkscape for the vector files.  Also, I appear to get slightly different values reported for logoe and logofull!

I will ask Samwell to clarify the RGB values once and for all.

Not being much of a Photoshop head I always get a bit confused around CMYK, but I wonder whether it is the CMYK - RGB conversion that is causing problems.

I will post as soon as I know, or perhaps Samwell may crawl out from his bunker again.

File      Inkscape        Illustrator
=========================================
          Blue    Green   Blue    Green  
-----------------------------------------
logoe             b4d670          B4D670
logomini  0071bc  b4d670  0071BC  B4D670
logofull  0071b5  64d26e  0071B5  B4D26E

Looking at the above I would suggest #0071bc and #b4d670 (with logofull being a slight glitch) - but when the original submission was different values I think it's worth checking.

At least with SVG you can just do a textual find'n'replace to change the colour.
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #83
I've spoken to Samwell. 

I’ll have a look tonight.  In my hurry on Friday I was exporting from different files, some RGB and some CMYK

The vector colours are basically correct.  The originally submitted GIF was most likely off colour due to CMYK to RGB conversion.  Edit: actually this was said before the above, so that may not still be the case.

We'll have to wait to see which colours he deems to be correct - I'm guessing #0071bc and #b4d670 as two of the three had that green, but I guess there's no point in assuming anything.  Edit: again, maybe not - if he gave us the completely wrong ones the original GIF may actually be right...
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #84
Thank you for looking into it.

Well, even if the GIF colours may (or may not) be wrong, the LAME developers thought it was good enough to be chosen. Maybe the GIF colours should be kept..?

Personally, though, I think the other colours are good too.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #85
Yes, I did wonder about this.  The GIF colours were those picked.

However I would suspect that Samwell would rather his "original" colours were used (i.e.: those of the original AI file).  As a graphic artist he is obviously quite particular about such things.

Either looks good to me.  I really can't decide between the two.  The GIF colours are actually more bold, but I like the freshness of the vector colours.  As it is nothing to do with me I guess I thankfully don't need to worry about it.
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #86
I'll try converting it into SVG. I can't get GIMP for Windows to do it right now, but I'm sure GIMP for Debian AMD64 will work out of the box with Ghostscript.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's also [a href="http://www.sodipodi.com/]Sodipodi[/url].
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

New LAME logo - results

Reply #87
<slightly off topic>
I did try Inkscape, which was originaly based on sodipodi. Inkscape's AI loading was done through a perl script. It didn't work for me.
</slightly off topic>

New LAME logo - results

Reply #88
During 6 years we had no logo, and now that we have one, some of you are thinking that waiting a few more days to have high res versions is impossible?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's this? I always thought of this as the logo, although you could say it is just the LAME website's logo.
[a href="http://lame.sourceforge.net/lamelogo.gif]http://lame.sourceforge.net/lamelogo.gif[/url]

New LAME logo - results

Reply #89
What's this? I always thought of this as the logo, although you could say it is just the LAME website's logo.
http://lame.sourceforge.net/lamelogo.gif

Well, this is ...hum... a...a thing....
Honestly, this one is far from a logo

New LAME logo - results

Reply #90
http://lame.sourceforge.net/lamelogo.gif

Well, this is ...hum... a...a thing....
Honestly, this one is far from a logo
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I'm not much of a designer 

Somebody should update the wikipedia article:
[a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAME[/url]

New LAME logo - results

Reply #92
Samwell has provided Roberto with some alternative files.

I have taken a look at the SVG files that he has created and detirmined that the colours are:

Blue    #0A50A1    10,80,161

Green   #ABDA4D    171,218,77

These colours were created by converting the CMYK originals into RGB versions.  It looks like these colours are basically the same as the submitted GIF, so I guess it all worked out in the end...

I have updated the files on my website.

Roberto : the SVGs that Samwell created and presumably passed to you are huge.  I assume that they have Illustrator-specific information in them - it looks like there's embedded fonts or something as well.  I have taken the new colours and updated my SVGs (created from the original EPS using Illustrator) at the URL above, if you want them.  2KiB compared to 353KiB makes sense to me.
I'm on a horse.

New LAME logo - results

Reply #93
The SVGs are looking good in Firefox 1.5

Shouldn't lamemini be without the "encoded" word below, like Gab's avatar?

New LAME logo - results

Reply #94
Thanks for the info.  I think I need to try Firefox 1.5 myself (I'm on 1.0.7).

The 'encoded' is correct.  I guess Gabriel just likes the 'e' with 'lame' in rather than just the 'e' as in logoe.svg.  Notice he has also applied some gradient.

NB: In contradiction to my previous post, the SVGs on my site have now (since Friday evening) been created from scratch from the AI file.

I used 7 decimal place accuracy instead of the default 3, as I thought the extra KiB worth it.  I also used what Illustrator calls "Style Attributes" to apply a class to the <path> element for colouring - for clarity, filesize, and ease of editing.

I know nothing of SVG, so if anyone has any suggestions or requirements for formatting (e.g.: reinstating the fill atttribute instead of the class) I'd be happy to try to help.  The files are obviously fine in Illustrator on Win2K, and I've also checked in Inkscape on Win2K.

If I'm posting SVG files I'd like to know that they are useful to all - i.e.: *nix and Mac users.  Nothing worse than filling the Internet with yet more useless crap.

Roberto asked for SVG, but I've no idea how they are most often used.
I'm on a horse.