Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Inherited Amp, need advice. (Read 3909 times) previous topic - next topic

Inherited Amp, need advice.

First of all, I'm new to Hi-fi's, but that doesn't mean i'm totally stupid and ignorant (well..?), anyway please be gentle, this is my first post on this board, although i have been trying to learn by reading it for a month or 2. anyway...

I just inherited 2*Boothroyd Stuart Meridian 103 mono power amps , and a matching pre-amp.

With the previous owner, it was powering 2 gale 402's, but those broke and they are far too big for my room anyway.

I know its a nice system (for its age) but i don't have speakers to match its (from what i can work out) 200W power, I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction i should be looking in for speakers, what manufacturers (or models) i should be looking at.? My budget is around £100 (not alot i know) but i am eager to get some speakers that do it justice, second hand perhaps?

I know it isn't like that here but i am warey from other forums, so i am sorry for anything i have gotten wrong, please just tell me.

Thanks in advance.

BMP.

Reply #1
Great amps!  Get some used Spendor BBC studio monitors (LS-1's ?).  You lucky guy. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #2
Thankyou very much boojum, i will look into this. I went into many hifi stores asking for advice, many have turned me away saying they had nothing that would do it justice, which was really cool (never happened before, except for pc parts)

thanks again.

Reply #3
I wish I could inherit something like that.  I'd suggest you take a look at the used market.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #4
I've heard good things about the B&W DM303.  It's a little above your price range, but it's one of the least expensive good speakers out there.

Other companies that have a reputation for good, lower price models include PSB and Boston Acoustics.

Good luck with your Meridians.  What sources (turntable, CD, tuner) do you have?

Reply #6
I've heard good things about the B&W DM303.  It's a little above your price range, but it's one of the least expensive good speakers out there.

Other companies that have a reputation for good, lower price models include PSB and Boston Acoustics.

Good luck with your Meridians.  What sources (turntable, CD, tuner) do you have?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304097"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

at the moment i am only using my pc (with a correctly setup fb2k and m-audio 2496  ) with lame mp3's, i plan to be converting to flac soon, as i recently got a new storage setup that can deal with it. I will be getting a nice cd player aswell, but once i have got my speakers. I only use it for music, but ocasionally watch DVD's thorugh my pc, but i'm not interested in surround as i have that downstairs.

thanks again, i will be looking into all the speakers suggested above thoroughly.

Reply #7
Just to clarify. The 103 was Meridian's entry level 45wpc stereo power amp. A fine little amp and I am currently searching for one. If indeed you have monoblocks - they are 105's each rated at 100w. I also own a pair of these - IMHO as good as the NAIMs of the day.

There were at least two genereations of the 105, designated 105 and 105s, though I'm not sure what the upgrade was.

Good luck with the amps, if you didn't yet get speakers they will power just about anything but electrostatics. I've used Lin Kans, Spendor LS3/5a, Mission 770s, and Kef 104s - all successfully.