Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero Decoding Plugins? (Read 4285 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Im just wondering if there is any current development for decoding plugins for Nero for the more advanced codecs like MPC, OGG and AAC? (Esp MPC!) or is there plans for it in the future? or is it too hard to do?

Thanks
Simon

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Reply #1
You should ask Ahead,imo it`s not hard to do it but something is keeping them away from non comercial formats... :/

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Reply #2
Since Ivan Dimkovic (Psytel Research) is working with Ahead now, i'm convinced there will be some interesting AAC developments.
About MPC, i REALLY don't know.. Seems that it's a controvercial format due to it using MPEG stuff of course..
Ogg, i suppose the only thing keeping them from it is..... I DON'T KNOW.. They should really offer an Ogg decoding plugin.

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Reply #3
About MPC, i REALLY don't know.. Seems that it's a controvercial format due to it using MPEG stuff of course..

I don't think the MPEG stuff used in MPC is holding Ahead back. After all, their MP3 decoder is using similar stuff. (Does it decode MP2 BTW? In that case, it would be using THE SAME stuff)

IMO, the reason is simply: There's no demand for MPC support. I guess less than 0,1% of Nero's users ever heard about MPC - let alone the ones that are using this format. Even VQF (in it's glory days) probably had a bigger userbase than MPC today.

IMO, that's the reason for lack of hardware support as well - not licenses that are probably already paid when the manufacturers licensed MPEG audio decoding.

Regards;

Roberto.

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Reply #4
Even VQF (in it's glory days) probably had a bigger userbase than MPC today.

Then again, I'd say that AAC audio has even smaller userbase than MPC at the moment..

Hopefully both MPC and AAC userbases will increase in the future.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Reply #5
Since Ivan Dimkovic (Psytel Research) is working with Ahead now, i'm convinced there will be some interesting AAC developments.

BTW, keep in mind that there will probably be no ISO AAC support in Nero. All you'll get is support for streams wrapped in MP4 container.

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Reply #6
Have no fear, mp4creator is here!

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Reply #7
I see. Well isnt it possible for one of our own developers like frank etc to create an unofficial plugin? Like with the cool edit pro filters? It would be great as its a little inconvenient to keep decoding my mpcs to wav in order to burn them in nero as audio cds for my car. I understand that Ahead wont do it cos of lack of demand etc but we/I want it!

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Reply #8
I see. Well isnt it possible for one of our own developers like frank etc to create an unofficial plugin? Like with the cool edit pro filters?

No, because Cool Edit's filters SDK is available, and Nero plugin SDK is not.

Nero Decoding Plugins?

Reply #9
well that sucks. And theres no way of looking at an existing one and getting the basic idea? (I've no idea if its possible cos im not a programmer so its a very noobie question).